Is this the first D-pad?


11 Responses to “Is this the first D-pad?”

  1. Anonymous says:

    Looks more like you have to press a given button multiple times to get a particular number than a directional pad.

  2. Anonymous says:

    Anonymous, the ad copy says “4-in-1 Rocker Keys (TM).”

  3. Anonymous says:

    I used one of these, back around 1977. I was in 4th grade or so, and another student had brought his Dad’s pen in. It had, IIRC, the weird property of overheating after a few minutes of use and displaying “—-” or “EEEE” or some such. You had to turn it off to let it cool down before you could use it again. Strange!

  4. StRevAlex says:

    That’s pretty neat. I would have loved one of those in Junior High.

  5. Anonymous says:

    I had one of these, I can close my eyes and remember playing with it in my dad’s office!!

    Thanks for the momentary wayback moment!

  6. Shannon says:

    There’s one on ebay right now for a $100 buy-it-now…

  7. Anonymous says:

    yeah, or the 4-way trim switches used forever in aviation.

  8. Anonymous says:

    It must not work. $19.95 is not 1/2 off from 39.95.
    Half off would be $19.975. So they’re screwing themselves out of 2.5 cents!

  9. zish says:

    What?! There’s no web site on that ad! How am i going to find out where to buy one?
    I net someone in marketing’s gonna hear about this one!

  10. ivan256 says:

    There is plenty of machine equipment from the ’40s and ’50s that have joysticks and D-pads, so something from the ’70s definitely doesn’t qualify as “the first”. Unless you want to limit yourself to D-pads that control something electronic? (As opposed to hydraulic like the aforementioned machines)

  11. PrettyBoyTim says:

    I smell prior art.

Leave a Reply