Self-healing surfaces

13 Responses to “Self-healing surfaces”

I want this technology to be used to create the ultimate long lasting nail varnish!

Zing for the win.

Carmen

I’ve been hearing about this stuff for at least a few years. What’s different about this than other tech that’s claimed the same thing?

Actually, what I’m most interested in is how many times it can fail and repair itself. There’s gotta be some upper limit. Once enough of the little capsules crack, you’re outta luck.

This stuff is always presented as a panacea that will do away with holes in things forever, but it just can’t be the case. The stuff will make things last longer, but not indefinitely. So you’ll still need to inspect it for wear, etc.

Basically, if it lasts 2x as long for less than 2x the cost, I’m interested. Otherwise, I have no direct use for it. I suppose it’s also worthwhile in places were you want to increase the longevity no matter what (space travel, components that are difficult to change) to reduce down time (or explosive decompression).

3. Piers W says:

“Once enough of the little capsules crack, you’re outta luck.”

If the material has to resist lots of scratches in lots of different directions that could take a long time.

I use ‘self healing’ cutting mats. They last several months or a year.

4. yri says:

I’ll be impressed when science can not only create self-healing materials, but in such a way that they are grown from a single molecule that encodes an entire self-building machine, of a vast variety of types depending on what is encoded therein.

5. bcsizemo says:

I love how writers take such simplistic things like this and turn them into magical creations. It’s technically not self healing. If you cut it, it does not repair itself. Yes, it is certainly better than surface coatings we have now, but it does not allow the material being protected to regenerate if damaged.

I’ll be impressed when we actually have nanites (sp?) doing this type of work. Ones that can actually create/repair the base material. It probably won’t be in my life time, but one could hope.

So that’s how the not-a-car in From a Buick 8 heals itself when scratched or dented.

Will things using this technology also open portals to other worlds?

7. Takuan says:

I’ll be impressed when the self-healing uses the surrounding air as raw material to rebuild with.

8. TroofSeeker says:

I’m covered with a self-healing surface.

9. ZippySpincycle says:

I just won’t be impressed. Ever. So there.

10. Enormo says:

Cure cancer please.

@YRI: Science already has! I think what you mean to say is “human technology”.

T-1000, here we go!

13. w000t says:

Now when we realize that we are unable to destroy our robot overlords, we’ll know who to blame.