Alaska: Geeks dwell here, too, it's not all Palin and mush-dog races.

13 Responses to “Alaska: Geeks dwell here, too, it's not all Palin and mush-dog races.”

1. vonskippy says:

I think you’re confusing “geeks” with “dorks”.

I adore the fact that that guy’s beard is the same colour as the fur in his hat.

3. IamInnocent says:

Made me smile. With friends at work we joke all day long. It makes the less funny parts pass. Very little of our smartness would sell at a national level, but we sure laugh a lot more heartily than at most comedian show. That’s how this felt.

Not just anyone would think of bringing us simple, neat moments like these. TY

Oh Pat and Lou, you crazy guys. Good to see you on Boingboing again. I hate the Silverbow, however.

5. oo0oo says:

I thought I was the only one to play with the “vegetable steamer” when I was a kid.. and well.. now, at age 36 with my children.

6. Tikabelle says:

Yay for Pat and Lou! I went to high school with Pat at good ol’ JDHS. That video made me nostalgic for the good places in Juneau. Also, for dancing in front of the Governor’s Mansion, from which you cannot, in fact, see Russia. Mount Jumbo is in the way.

Seriously, I thought I was crazy for thinking vegetable steamers looked like UFOs. Good to see that there are others like me. Thank you Internetz for bringing us together!

8. Adam Stanhope says:

The most fascinating thing about that video is the scenery behind them – beautiful old buildings, beautiful hills/mountains covered in evergreens…

I’d like to see a video tour of Juneau by these guys.

9. Ilya says:

There are two little hints which make it very, very likely that at least one of these guys plays City of Heroes. Long-distance micro-cultural connections are so strange.

10. FnordX says:

#9

They just know how to shoot around all the touristy stuff that’s up there. If you go to Juneau, the downtown is almost all tourist shops now, it’s kind of sad.

I grew up there, and there’s so many beautiful spots, and so much to see, and the first impression that everyone who gets off the boat gets is “tourist trap”.

11. xzzy says:

I’ve pretty much stopped mentioning where I grew up to new acquaintances (which was Anchorage).

Since last year, every time it comes up I get a query whether or not everyone in Alaska is as crazy as Palin. Granted, there are a lot of loony people up there but the ratio is no worse than it is anywhere else.

Alaska’s a great place, really. If you consider yourself an outdoors type, you owe it to yourself to get up there in the summer at least once. If you go twice, make the second visit in the winter. ;)

12. NineInchNachos says:

Alaska Robotics videos saved my life. I’m not just saying that because I too am from Juneau.

13. NineInchNachos says:

seriously, these guys have a huge cult following in Alaska.