Mugshots from 1903 in curious series

10 Responses to “Mugshots from 1903 in curious series”

1. Rick. says:

Prison today would be so much less scary with ascots.

The sign by the person on the left says “E., V.Methever”, 57 years. he was hanged for murder on 10th may 1901. See “http://users.bestweb.net/~rg/execution/CALIFORNIA.htm”

3. slump says:

@7

I’m guessing the cops in 1903 had little to stop them from administering a beating during the arrest or after to get a confession.

4. theundreaming says:

Actually, it appears they are wearing striped vests over their striped shirts.

Not that the same hypothesis wouldn’t apply…

I wonder if they had striped jackets – 3-piece prison suit?

In both top two rows, the two left images are identical except for their hats; the head on the guy on the right has been rotated. These are Photoshopped images from when?

6. Adam Stanhope says:

Could the guy in the middle be an ACTUAL “Coolie” ?!

The guy on the left with a caved in head appears to be in for “First Degree Murder” with a sentence of Death.

They let caved-in-head-guy keep his mustache, but the guy on the right appears to have lost him during intake.

7. freeyourcrt says:

The mugshots on the SG site combined with the revelations from the slightly newer posting about trickery on the part of the NYC police give me a very icky feeling. Or maybe it’s just the photos themselves. Just another shining example of our tax dollars at work I guess.

8. treq says:

Love how the guy on the right has a mustache-tan on the bottom pic, though I still don’t get why he had to shave and death-sentence bro only had to trim.

Nevermind the guy on the left’s mustache, what’s the deal with his eye?

10. BrotherPower says:

Well, I’m gratified to see Jonah Hex lived to a ripe old age before they done did him in.