Afghanistan: graphic novel voting guides for today's presidential elections.

11 Responses to “Afghanistan: graphic novel voting guides for today's presidential elections.”

Anyone wants to speculate what the text says on the last page – IN THE MIDDLE OF AN EXPLOSION?!?!?

~Steve

2. Vidya108 says:

I really like this booklet, even without being able to understand the language. Particularly, it was nice to see the inclusion of women, even those who wear the full burqua, taking an active part in civic life.

3. Lt DirtyFreq says:

I never realized on how they have their women dress, looks a lot like Moltar from Space Ghost.

Making sure women wear their own voting booth really cuts down on gov’t spending. It’s one reason I’m voting Taliban this election.

Apparently Afghanistan’s voters include hat wearing men, both young and old, and ghosts from pacman.

6. mdh says:

or maybe even an Imperial Guard from Episode IV?

I thought it was cookie monster.

I have to wonder if any of this makes any sense at all to your average Afganni. Think about all of the weird manga iconography that meant nothing to the western world, until recently. A snot bubble in the nose means the character is sleeping. A cross on the forehead represents the protruding veins of an angry person, etc.

Someone once took comic strips to rural Kenya. None of the comic strip conventions made any sense to them… the motion lines behind a flying baseball meant it had a tail. The word balloons completely confounded them. They thought they were fish.

Hopefully, some research was done to make this understood by the Afgannis. That being said, it’s still really cool.

9. randomcat says:

Those crazy muslins are listening to Cobra Commander! We’re all doomed.

10. ianchowmiller says:

Would love to use this with my Social Studies class. Anyone able to translate this? I tried Google translator ne que qui quam.

11. Editz says:

Guy on bottom left looks like an aging Race Bannon and on the right is a brown haired Dr. Benton C. Quest.