Sita Sings the Blues sourcefiles online

16 Responses to “Sita Sings the Blues sourcefiles online”

1. jimh says:

I saw it at the Red Vic the last time it played- If you’re local I highly recommend seeing it on the larger screen! Thank you so much Nina, for this Wonderful Thing.

Why use the youtube version of Sita when it’s available from archive.org?

3. Ocker3 says:

I dearly love this epic movie, I’ll be buying a copy next paycheck

4. jimh says:

My guess would be simply because Youtube is embeddable. And what’s above is the trailer, not the feature film, of course.

5. thekinginyellow says:

wow! i can’t wait to dive into this one. i love seeing how others animate and how things vary from my own processes. thank you so much!

6. Roy Blake says:

I saw the film in the theatre at Chautauqua this summer. Anyone who takes this much trouble to open-source her film deserves to also make a little money from it. Great film!

7. GeekMan says:

We have lots of Indian-Western cross-culture in Vancouver, so seeing Sita Sings the Blues was a wonderful experience for me and my friends. I wasn’t familiar with Ramayana before I saw Sita; now I’m recognizing representations of Sita, Rama, and Hanuman all over the place.

Thanks to Nina Paley for creating and open-sourcing this wonderful film, and to BoingBoing (among a few other sites) for bringing it to my attention.

That’s all!

8. jjasper says:

Nina, you are so awesome you deserve a monument!

At no time should anyone be linking to PBS. They are locked down, pure streaming only unless you have the software to break that. I want to watch on my time. I realize that Sita is on archive.org, but their other stuff isn’t.

10. Egypt Urnash says:

I am really glad to see her walking the “free culture” walk! This is where a lot of proponents of Creative Commons as an analogy to open source seem to stop, just saying “yeah it’s okay for you to remix the finished end product of my work” without handing out the source files.

This opens up wonderful new possibilities. How about an operating system with the sita theme…that will be sweet!

DAMN – this is a beautiful gift. Thank you so much Nina.

13. GloriaRandal says:

Oh my god, this is just great! I gotta get this for my kids!

14. batu b says:

The style is so similar to this artist:
    What’s up with that? Is there a “Disnindia” subgenre I’ve been missing?

Sita sings the blues grest movie,excellent music and animation and is also now available on DVD! Get it from Amazon or Netflixsy

Also, for those in the San Francisco Bay area who would like to see this awesome work on the big screen, the whole film is playing at the Red Vic on Haight this weekend: http://www.redvicmoviehouse.com/show.php?pageid=778