Sandman Slim audiobook: magical hardboiled revenge story

14 Responses to “Sandman Slim audiobook: magical hardboiled revenge story”

1. Brainspore says:

That book is one of three pieces of fiction I’ve enjoyed this week that used the Bradbury building in L.A. as a backdrop. The other two were “Blade Runner: The Final Cut” (as Sebastian’s apartment building) and “Pushing Daisies” (as Ned’s apartment building). It’s amazing how a piece of architecture can take on such radically different personalities through simple lighting, set dressing and (in the case of Sandman Slim) narration.

2. The_Walt says:

I’m reading the book now. I’d like to like it (i like the story), but it’s full of misprints and grammar issues. It’s like listening to a cool song and just as it starts to grow on you, the guitarist hits a wrong note or chord – it’s very distracting.

Pages 22, 49, 102, 178, 181, 213, and 223 have blatant errors that are not dialogue related (I anticipate more as I continue reading). My copy isn’t an advance proof copy, but it does feel like I’m reading a first draft at times.

Did HarperCollins foolishly fire their editor(s)?

It’s very likely that you could download this audiobook from your local Library for free. Check and see if they offer such a thing. http://search.overdrive.com/

Why do audio books always cost so much more than the paper version? Sure there is a cost of recording the audio and mixing it, but it is far less than writing the story and on par with costs of digital books for reproducing… I think I would be more into buying audio books if there were not so marked up on price…than I might buy it instead of the paper version. This is not always the case, since some of Neil Gaiman’s audio books are reasonably priced, or at least at the time of being just released discount, but that seems to be not too common from what I have seen.

The good news:
    This is being made into a movie, due out later this year.

The bad news:
    It’s being handled by The DeLaurentis Entertaiment Group, makers of such wonderful fare as “Orca” and the horrible evisceration of “Dune.”

Ugh.

I hope that when I’m done with the book it doesn’t suffer the same horrible fate as “The Time Traveler’s Wife,” which I will tell anyone sober that the book was great, the adaptation with that wooden Bana character? TRULY BORING.

Poor Richard, his first adaptation and it’s in the hands of a schlockmeister.

The book kicks ass, I finished it about two weeks ago. I kept reading great passages out loud for coworkers.
    (and wincing. It’s NOT a *nice* book)

7. toyg says:

Sorry, I’m new at this. If I get it from Audible.com, will it also be DRM-free ?

8. Cory Doctorow says:

Emphatically not. All Audible books are crippled with DRM.

Regardless, this is an awesome book. I ordered it after the last post about it and loved it. A lot of parallels between this and butcher bird, though. I’d love to see something from Kadrey that didn’t just reuse the same elements, but either continued the story of either of these books or went in a new direction.

Audiobooks cost more because in addition to the professional expertise of producing, the person who records the audiobook must be paid. These are professionals who spend way more than the 11 plus hours that it takes for you to listen to the book.

Really try to get the DRM free version of the Audiobook. This Macleod dude really hit the tone of the book on the head. I wonder if he could play the character in a movie, if it were ever made…

12. Larem says:

I just made CD’s. I’m listening in my car anyways… I am liking it so far. I keep having scenes from the Nightside, by Simon Green show up during the reading. Which is a good thing since the Nightside books rock.

The Walt: I agree. I figured there’d be several of these distractions when the veritas coin changed material in the first few pages (gold? silver?)…

I did give the author some license with SUVs being called vans; could be a cultural thing there (or an editing foible as mentioned).

14. Larem says:

Awww…. crap. I just bought it from audible.com. I thought it was amazon until I went back and looked at the above question and then relooked at the amazon listing.
    crap…
    I was lured and hooked by the $9.99 price tag.

/i’m a sucker

I hope I can find a ‘fix’ for it.