My father was born in a refugee camp in Azerbaijan, near Baku, but I've never had the urge to go back and look up the spot.
Speaking to the BBC, Elsa Vidal - Europe desk officer with Reporters Without Borders - said that press freedoms in Azerbaijan were almost non-existent, making it "one of the black spots of the former USSR".Jail threat for donkey bloggers
"The situation is still severe and local public servants enjoy virtual immunity from an investigation from the press when they try and expose corruption," she said.
"There are no grounds for the bloggers to be prosecuted. They should be released and all accusations should be dropped.
"The authorities have more to lose in jailing the bloggers than in freeing them, but who knows what will actually be said at the trial?" she added.
The UN Human Rights Committee also raised concerns about the arrests, saying there were "extensive limitations to the right to freedom of expression" in Azerbaijan.
- Blogger and 'net cafe owner arrested in Myanmar (Burma) - Boing Boing
- Boing Boing: WaPo editorial on jailed Egyptian blogger, and US ...
- Boing Boing: Supporters work to free Egypt blogger Kareem (NPR ...
- Boing Boing: Malaysian blogger detained by authorities
- Boing Boing: China: imprisoned blogger Hao Wu freed after 140 days
- Burmese blogger receives 20-years prison for poem about dictator ...
- Neo-nazi hate blogger paid by FBI to incite, says attorney - Boing ...
- Boing Boing: Blogger jailed for refusing to hand over video