Ira Glass talks about the Internet

6 Responses to “Ira Glass talks about the Internet”

This American Life has been increasingly strident about not getting paid for the podcast. They ask and plead and use commercials.

A solution is in Apple’s hands to allow iTunes users to subscribe to podcasts at a voluntary rate per download.

$0.00 / $.25 / $.50 / $1 per show might be 4 reasonable rates to choose from. You would choose the level of your support and maybe Apple would keep 10% for the effort of billing the credit card and they would forward 90% to the non-profit. The micro payments would be aggregated and billed monthly just like my iPhone activity at the app store now is.

This would work equally well for many other podcasts that are having this problem.

Come on Ira, no need to whine, enlist your listeners to petition Apple to fix this problem for every podcast producer. Let’s make it easy.

2. Lobster says:

I’m a little mad at Ira Glass right now.

“Frenemy?” Seriously?

3. ThePope says:

Huzzah! Two of my favorite podcasts combined into one! It really is a wonderful world.

Anon – I love your $0.00 / $.25 / $.50 / $1 per show idea. Send it to Ira if you haven’t already!

I have to agree, the $0.00 / $.25 / $.50 / $1 per show idea is fantastic. This “billing” model could and would work. Maybe even with the option to pay after you listened to the episode. A lot of times, I was listening to a podcast episode (not only TAL) and thinking: “These guys should get paid for that terrific episode”.

I think there would be a lot of people paying those micropayment-system. It would be a win-win-situation. Better than nothing!

Is there a transcript?