Burning Man opera with libretto by Erik Davis

8 Responses to “Burning Man opera with libretto by Erik Davis”

Saw a preview of this in San Francisco last night. While there are glimmers of brilliance in the dialogue, lyrics and music, the show overall is sort of a mess, albeit a well-choreographed mess.

The performances of the band and many of the singers are extremely mediocre and amateurish. While this maybe reflects the qualities of the real people and experiences of Burning Man, it doesn’t result in great theater. Expanses of time (a few seconds to a minute) would go by and I would wonder what exactly was going on, being said or sung, being expressed. I could tell many around me felt the same way by the relatively vacant expressions on their faces.

If you’ve been to Burning Man and would be entertained by a bunch of self-proclaimed freaks coming together and singing and dancing, then you’ll probably like this a lot. However, if your bar is a lot higher and you’re accustomed to really well-produced theater, you might find this show a little disappointing.

Sorry to be a buzzkill and break the lovefest. Hopefully, the show will evolve and get a bit tighter during its run here in SF.

Who is the girl the in the photo. She is gorge and I’m sure very talented.

Warmest regards,

3. Gendun says:

I saw a workshop production of this piece a few months ago and I have to say it’s surprisingly effective in conveying the spirit and contradictions of the event, and highly entertaining as well.

One of the highlights for me was a striking sung debate between characters John Law and Larry Harvey about which direction the event should head in. It hit all the right notes (excuse the pun) and dug deeply into the heart of the event.

Don’t mean to make it sound like it’s esoteric or something, because it wasn’t. It really gets the point across with a lot of fun and insight. Highly recommended.

Maybe that look on my face was jaw dropping awe. I was there on the preview night and enjoyed this show so much. The writing doesn’t always follow a linear story line, but to me this seems to allow the plot the weirdness it needs to really represent burning man. Just in general, I’ve seen quite a few original shows over the years and this seems to be in a league of its own. I got chills during a few scenes. Highly recommended.

5. tuned88 says:

I saw the performance last night. Perhaps it could be they’ve had a couple of weeks to polish this jewel but I rather think not. This was a brilliant piece of theatre. It doesn’t seem fair to call myself a Burning Man virgin any longer. The essence of it was delivered through words and music with the searing heat of the playa.

With only two shows left in this run, it may be too late for others who read this. However, if the chance does come to see this play by all means, do.

6. franko says:

i wish i could be here for this. it sounds great. it kind of like “Rent” meets burning man.

The preview was stunning. Can’t wait to see the entire show put together – and in the big top no less!!!

Absolutely fantastic, would love to see this show.

Any chance of bringing it to London?

Will have to send some friends in San Fran along in my absence.

@danieldoherty