Japanese Festivals: a snapshot gallery (and an odd "Sesame Street" knockoff)

9 Responses to “Japanese Festivals: a snapshot gallery (and an odd "Sesame Street" knockoff)”

It may be only me… but I think that Japanese culture will ALWAYS SEEM bizarre, and maybe even rotten until you get to visit the country and get to know its culture first hand.

I won’t get to sleep well after this!

2. Emily (koenji calling) says:

yeah, that clip is a parody from a comedy show (it’s even called Banana Street if you look). I always hoped Sesame Street was somehow different here but it’s the same thing with dubbing in Japanese, sad to say.

3. Xeni Jardin says:

Heh, I guess Danny was making a joke, then!

XD mm.. such fond memories. i was simply horrible at catching goldfish though…

“single hoop of thin paper.” A what? Is this like a bowl or cup device?

6. matt_w says:

@#5 you spambots are getting clever… i wonder how long till they gain sentience and go all skynet on us… except with penis pills and dodgy loans.

7. MadRat says:

To Xeni Jardin and Danny Choo, thanks that was a lot of fun!

8. UltraBob says:

Re: #2

It is actually from a show called Lincoln, and the comedy group is called Banana Man so the segment is called Banana Street.

9. Anony Mouse says:

Sesame Street is different in Germany too – everything is brighter and more cartoony, and Oscar the Grouch is cuter looking, less scruffy, and not bad-tempered. I think that German adults are quite scaredy on behalf of their children, and the original Oscar is possible a bit too much like a real hobo-wino to contemplate.

When I was teaching kindergarten kids there, I did special Halloween vocabulary cards for the week around Halloween. All the adults who saw it were all “I don’t think you should show the children a picture of a skull or a ghost – it will be too frightening”. All the kids were all “Ein Totenkopf! Toll!”

Perhaps slightly worrying, in retrospect, that they didn’t think of it as a skull, but rather as the symbolic ‘Death’s Head’ that certain Prussian units – for example – used to wear on their hats. It puts me in mind of That Mitchell & Webb Look – “Have you seen our hats? You don’t suppose that we are…the baddies, do you?”