Aaron sez, "George Preti has a fridge full of human body odor samples. John Daly of the National Institute of Diabetes had a refrigerator packed to the gills with amphibian toxins. Ivan Amato, a C&EN editor and avid photographer, is collecting photos of interesting lab refrigerators. If you have any good pics, send them to i_amato@acs.org ."

What's in your fridge? (Thanks, Aaron!)

13 Responses to “Fridge full of BO”

1. zikman says:

when I had to turn in urine samples for a short time, the place where I did it had a fridge full of little pee pee cups

2. sciencemike says:

I have actually met Dr. Preti whose friend’s call him “Sweaty Preti” not because he is personally sweaty but because of research interest in body odors. He’s an exceptionally smart and interesting dude. He also studies ways to reduce the odors produced by pig farming. Let’s just be glad he doesn’t have a fridge full of swine poo. On second thought he just might have a fridge full of swine poo.

3. YouWishYouWereThere says:

I fell off a ladder on Monday and went to the doctor yesterday. Now my fridge is full of medicine that I have to take the whole damn day. Dammit!

4. Brainspore says:

How can you tell when the stuff in your fridge goes bad?

5. Michaelchr says:

This immediately made me think of the bit in Mark Leyner’s novel Et Tu Babe where they get their hands on (and huff) a preserved bottle of Abraham Lincoln’s morning breath.

6. Antinous / Moderator says:

At least he has an excuse for how his refrigerator smells. I’m just a bad housekeeper.

Oh, awesome, lab fridges. Well, our lab *fridge* isn’t that interesting, but the freezers are full of bits of dead horse. Legs and tails mostly – for the people doing research on articular cartilage and intervertebral discs, respectively.

8. max says:

My father is an ENT surgeon, and on the floor where his office is, there is a refrigerator full of human heads.

9. xaxa says:

A freezer where I work “contains over 22,000 samples of plant genomic DNA, all stored at -80°C“.

Another (actually two walk-in freezers in a reinforced bunker/vault) has seeds from over 10% of the world’s wild plant species (over 1.6 billion seeds as of April).

10. blueelm says:

Now *this* is the fridge I want to see on a dating site. Seriously. Give me your lab pics dudes!

There’s barely room for the baking soda! And if ever there were a fridge that needed a box of baking soda, this be it.

12. CharlesV says:

more like george petri amirite

13. octopod says:

@8 – heh, yeah. or the bob hope stool sample mind caper in salton sea.