Nerdbots: found-object junkbots

16 Responses to “Nerdbots: found-object junkbots”

1. Aloisius says:

I prefer the robots coming from Bennett Robot Works. They’re basically the same thing, but seem higher quality to me.

2. Rush45 says:

Definition not being creative: I tend to USE old parts for other things that actually do something, instead of trying to convince people I’ve got technopunk cred.

Thank you Featheredfrog for making my point for me, and for helping me understand your education level with the the “Try a toothbrush, a vibrator motor and a lithium battery. google “bristlebot” comment.

3. lasttide says:

If those are functioning signal generators and voltmeters I’m ordering one.

4. featheredfrog says:

#9. Yep, RUSH45, I’m certainly not creative enough to take usable parts and make them unusable. I tend to USE old parts for other things that actually do something, instead of trying to convince people I’ve got technopunk cred.

Try a toothbrush, a vibrator motor and a lithium battery. google “bristlebot”

THAT is a nerd project. These “artists” and their clients are poseurs.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Try a toothbrush, a vibrator motor and a lithium battery. google “bristlebot” THAT is a nerd project. These “artists” and their clients are poseurs.

Well, it’s fairly clear where you’ve stowed your bristlebot.

5. Zergonapal says:

I’ve seen some great found art, this is just a gauge on top of a thingy. The guy should try not to fail.

6. featheredfrog says:

But but but but…

They don’t work!

NOT a “nerd”bot. Some artist trying to cash (cache?) in on technopunk chic.

a NERD would have it make espresso or something.

7. Pantograph says:

Come on the thingy is on top of TWO other thingies. That makes it high art, or at least a waste of a cool signal generator.

8. cinemajay says:

I think these are pretty cool, but I do think the price is a bit steep for non-functioning works. But a little re-wiring and I’m sure they’d light up again!

From what I can tell, they are keeping the cost pretty low for art which is cool. Also, they are recycling these pieces and keeping things out landfills which is always important. Nicely done, Nerds.

10. Rickmccl says:

I too would buy it to disassemble and reuse the cool signal generator.

11. bartgold says:

I do similar stuff- but much more micro detail…

12. Rush45 says:

You guys need to get a grip, its called art. Abstract painting is just blobs of paint and they call that art. If they moved, they would be called toys. You guys are probably just jealous that you’re not creative enough to think of it.

13. Beverly Stayart says:

People have been doing this sort of thing for years — turning found objects into art. At least this is one way to re-cycle abandoned items. As they say, “One man’s junk is another man’s treasure!”

14. Mistico says:

Thanks for the enlightened perspective, Rush45.

Yet somehow, I still want that signal generator.