Robin Cooper (aka Robert Popper) vs. Telemarketers

8 Responses to “Robin Cooper (aka Robert Popper) vs. Telemarketers”

The Do not call registry ruined some of my fun. Telling the local newspaper I wouldn’t subscribe because I’m illiterate. Telling the FOP I’d donate if they let my brother out of jail. Telling the children’s charity that I don’t like kids. Telling the window people that I don’t want to upgrade as I’m preparing to abandon the place.

All while watching my wife freak out.

2. AirPillo says:

Had me giggling like an idiot.

3. econobiker says:

This is the gentle, reserved English version of Tom Mabe. Best Tom Mabe prank calls were the ones he made at 3:am to the hotel rooms of telemarketers attending a telemarking convention…

Tears rolling down my face (from laughing).

5. WalterBillington says:

I enjoy this particular technique: go with them, accepting their pitch, take your time, suck them in, make them feel like they’re about to get a great deal. Then request 47 of whatever it is they’re selling. And insist on this. Don’t let them off the phone. Tell them they’re rude and you’ll report them to their supervisor.

Or equally, just say “nice of you to call, sorry I never buy over the phone, please remove me from your list”

6. boyhowdy says:

My favorite telemarketer “strategy”: we don’t “do” television, and we don’t want television.

For a while, this led to hilarious exchanges with script-reading zombies who live in other countries, and clearly have an image of Americans as obese TV boobs, trying to sell us Direct TV by asking how many channels we have ["None." "Excuse me?" Well, we do kind of get a fuzzy image of our local CBS affiliate..."].

Recently, it’s become much more fun, as we’ve applied the concept to every telemarketing call we recieve regardless of the subject. ["hello, I'm calling on behalf of the Policeman's Benevolent Society..." "Oh, I'm sorry. We don't want any policemen. We don't allow them in our house."] It tends to amuse intelligent telemarketers, it doesn’t waste much of their time, and everyone goes away smiling.

7. Felix Mitchell says:

As someone who worked in telesales:

People who try to bait you are the most fun thing about the job. Sure they don’t result in sales, but basically if I’m talking to someone who’s having a laugh with me:

1. I can normally tell.
    2. One of us is being paid for this.

Also amusing to talk to are crazy people. I spoke to a woman for about half an hour once about how ‘female heroin addicts’ were flooding her house.

8. bklynchris says:

OK, yes, it was brilliant. But ever British, he does not lose it once, he keeps in character and is quite the gentleman.