For Your Friday - The Spoon Box by The Books

12 Responses to “For Your Friday - The Spoon Box by The Books”

1. Wingo says:

I love love LOVE The books. Their music is pure ear candy and truly inspired.

I am a long time practitioner of weird sampling and ‘found sound’ sort of chicanery, and these guys are THE kings. They do not get the credit they deserve – it seems that they remain in relative obscurity for most.

I agree with poster one, too – the Prefuse 73 Reads The Books or whatever it’s officially called is also tres excellent. Trippy as hell.

Wonderful video – thanks for that!!

2. Xeni Jardin says:

Super cool video, great post, Bassam!

3. headfirstonly says:

Thanks for posting this; the video is wonderful. Lost and safe was my introduction to the world of aleatoric music, and has become one of my favourite albums. The music of The Books deserves far wider coverage and if anyone reading this hasn’t given their stuff a listen I really recommend that you do. I’ve managed to idenify some of the recordings used on Lost and Safe (which range from the BBC’s Raymond Baxter trying to describe the first transatlantic satellite broadcast and a befuddled reporter encountering Salvador Dali to W H Auden reading some of his poetry) but I’d love to see their catalogue!

Incidentally, Nick Zammuto was also co-creator of Bring me the head of Philip K Dick which I caught on BBC radio recently.

wow! they’re new to me, and i’m LOVING the music! thank you, Bassam, for yet another post showing me something i’d never seen, or teaching me something i never knew (the two things i can always count on BB to do).

5. J France says:

Amazing video!!

The sound was very much like a Matthew Herbert composition or perhaps even Múm. I love found object percussion & obviously need to pay more attention to newer releases.

Cheers for the heads up, you guys are giving Metzger a run for best guest bloggers ever.

6. EggyToast says:

I conversed briefly with Nick back in 2000, shortly after he released his Solutiore of Stareau 3cd album. He’s long been into sampling acoustic sounds, created often in very odd ways (Solutiore of Stareau is largely pops and tones created from scratching vinyl and sampling it, and is very minimalist). I think getting involved with Paul DeJong was one of the best things to happen to him, though, because it widened the palette for both artists significantly. For “Lost and Safe,” there are interviews noting that they have all of their samples categorized by note, making it much easier to construct melodic and musical bits without resorting to just lifting a full line. Personally, I find their work with acoustic instruments the most intriguing element of their music, because the “emphasis on imperfection” that Nick was happy to put in the forefront in his early career is lovely with acoustic instruments. Hearing a cello that’s not exactly played right (for example) but still rearranged and sequenced to work perfectly within the overall song, is what makes them stand out to me.

7. Pipenta says:

I LOVE that spoon box. Wonderful!

Hooray, the Books have come to Boingboing! First song of theirs I ever heard was “If Not Now, Whenever,” and it’s still my favorite. They’re awesome in concert, too.

they are working on a new album as we speak. it’s going to be nice, says the engineer.

As a long-time fan of the books (and hey, be sure to mention the excellent Prefuse 73 vs Books album!), I can only say that coverage of them is great… but the bigger, more important question (especially if you are talking to them) is _when_ is a new album forthcoming? These guys are bonkers, and make some of the most unique and robust music around… certainly stuff with a ‘makers’ spirit in sound. So… new stuff… please?

And more kitchen equipment too.

12. Fletcherism says:

I cannot wait to get home so i can actually listen to this =) The Books make me happy. The Lemon of Pink is great but could not stop playing Lost and Safe.