Charts to help you succeed in online dating

12 Responses to “Charts to help you succeed in online dating”

1. SkullHyphy says:

Wow, boingboin ur sexy! Wanna c a pix of my hot dcik? Here it is[IMG][IMG]. U shuld come 2 my C@n@di@n |0|i+@ Ph@rm@cy so I can hit it, beautiful.

2. SkullHyphy says:

Oh, man, I think I read the chart backwards.

3. phisrow says:

So, is performing mathematical optimization of your first message, based on keywords from the target’s profile, considered to be creepy or considerate these days?

More broadly, I wonder how easy it would be to write a bot that could “first contact” strangers at or above human levels of effectiveness…

4. MrWeeble says:

Or to summarise:
    Talk about body: Bad
    Talk about mind: Good

5. usdevelopersjournal says:

6. friendpuppy says:

I must mention that this is for Males sending to Females. Just as in the physical world, men still have to make the moves.

7. Teufelaffe says:

The post Mark is referring to has another graph in which the following words appear…in this very order:

zombie

vegetarian

metal

band

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I would totally go see a zombie vegetarian metal band.

8. apreacher says:

the fallacy here is assuming the goal of a sent message is simply to recieve a response. you can keep your “fascinating” 32%, i’ll take my chances with the “sexy” 6%.

I worked in the field of online dating for a few years there, directly involved with user messages (Read: removing overtly dirty stuff from public). The trouble with the okcupid stats is that they don’t take into account a key factor; that interesting messages take a lot more time to write and work primarily on those who’re interested in something slightly more long-term. A huge amount of men and a largish proportion of women use online dating sites for ‘random hookups’, and will message hundreds of women with a short message in an attempt to get a bite.

So really, the different approaches are suited ideally to what the person in question wants. If you’re seeking a woman to talk to, you devote more time to the message and she’s more likely to respond in kind…but if everybody involved just wants no-strings sex, then it really is a wasted effort.

tip for men: upload a picture to your profile, and do your best to make it a good one. Even though it’s text, first visual impressions count a lot more than you realise.

10. Pantograph says:

(OK Let’s do this:)
    How’s it going? You’re all so cool. It’s nice that as an awkward agnostic male I have found posters with such good taste. You mention grains. I’m sorry that I’m not a vegetarian zombie.
    Let’s have dinner.