Ugly and Bizarre book covers

9 Responses to “Ugly and Bizarre book covers”

1. Remocarpet says:

Those blade books are a treasure trove of bad covers. I have a later one called, “The Crystal Seas”, with a cover that implies the (nude male) protagonist is about to be violated by tentacles.

2. bjacques says:

He’s using the crowbar thingy to escape the Crap Dimension, while the cavewoman sets it on fire as a diversion. And isn’t that the dinosaur that savaged Newman in Jurassic Park?

Why is Chevy Chase holding a dildo spear crowbar?

I think in 5th or 6th grade I read a couple of those Blade books. Mainly I was interested in the sex parts, but I think the story was that a modern day man has a scientist friend who accidentally sends him to another dimension (creatively called Dimension X) where scantily clad women need his help in defending themselves from angry overlords. Or maybe the scantily clad women were the overlords and he’s taken prisoner and tortured by the high priestess. Or some variation of that kind of story. I hadn’t thought about that in forever. It seems there’s a gallery of Blade covers at http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/jeffrey-lord/

5. Billy Blight says:

Ugly? I disagree. I’d get a poster print of that in a heartbeat. Put it in a nice frame above the mantel.

6. caldrax says:

i was always amused by this one for “seductive wager” when I worked at Barnes and Noble. The two words didn’t seem to go right together, at all. I guess the cover is just standard romance fare but the title is what does it for me:

7. simonbarsinister says:

I read that ‘Blade’ book, and believe me the cover does a good job of foretelling what you will find inside.

It’s basically James Bond meets Conan meets Harlequin Romance with some explicit sex thrown in.

8. ProgHead777 says:

Man, Tom Delay was ripped back in the day. Now I see just how much he’s let himself go. Sad.