Ghost Town Tour

16 Responses to “Ghost Town Tour”

1. Sarahpinkrabbit says:

Wow! This really brought me back! I went there when I was only 7 years old (resident of inyo county) and was really in awe of the place. It’s one of my strongest childhood memories. I remember seeing an old doll through a window. After that I was obsessed with imagining being a child in what I thought of as the “Little House on the Prarie Days.” Of course this was 1982.

There is (or at least was) a place called Stein (spelling may not be correct) on AZ/NM border. It was a refueling town for the trains. Apparently there was a forest there prior, now there is a single tree (dated to be something like 800yrs old, or so I was told. The town was left as is, beds made, tables set. A hermit moved in and just filled the place with garbage. I got a tour from the current owner who was cleaning the place up. very very cool.

3. trombodie says:

I always like seeing my namesake getting some publicity. Ditto the above comment: “Definitely worth a visit.”

4. Pickapair says:

I remember going here on a family vacation years ago. My dad actually found the house where our family lived way back when Bodie was a boomtown. looking at ruins or abandoned buildings and imagining the people who lived there is one thing, but looking at the building your ancestors lived in over a hundred years ago is another thing entirely. thanks for bringing this amazing place to the readers of BoingBoing!

5. kpkpkp says:

When I was a little kid I lived in Mammoth Lakes, and also in Bridgeport, both relatively nearby Bodie.

I remember scraping the dirt around a bit to find square headed nails and pottery chards, and that some of the building’s roof tops were covered in flattened out tin cans, the ends removed and side cut, then flattened to make a rectangle, then installed with the painted side up to make a colorful pattern.

Also of vivid memory was the mining apparatus and in particular a very large (the size of my young head) brass nut, unfazed by the passage of time.

I used to go there when I was a child. It is sad but I believe Bodie is on the closure list of state owned parks.

7. ChickenDelicious says:

Maggie, I’d argue that you still haven’t seen it up close. These are nice photos, but the feeling of desolation you get from actually being there is something else. I went in the winter, when there was no green grass softening the landscape. Everything was a uniform burnt sienna, from the buildings to the thick, powder-like dust that covered the streets. The entrances to abandoned mine shafts dot the hillside. And it was cold, even with the sun out it was bitterly cold. Go pay a visit, and then hit up Mammoth for a hot chocolate (unicorn) chaser.

8. orwellian says:

So you get to go to ghost towns and XKCD draws you with a blimp? Man, I want to be you when I grow up!

9. Church says:

California, here you come.

10. franko says:

“Goodbye God, I’m going to Bodie.”

i have been here, and this place is so perfect, it’s hard to believe it’s not staged (i’m jaded by too much hollywood, i know). it boggled my mind that people just got up and left, leaving everything. there’s still books on the desks in the school, and stuff written on the blackboard! it’s gorgeous, sad, and creepy all at the same time. virginia city’s cemetery, near reno, is my next favorite ghosty place in the west.

11. copyboy1 says:

My grandmother and aunt, uncle and cousin all lived in Lee Vining about 30 minutes away and my aunt was a park ranger there for several years. So I’ve been to Bodie dozens of times. It really is incredible.

I took a trip to Mammoth a few years ago with my wife and two friends. When I suggested we stop and see Bodie, they all looked at me like I was the most boring man in the world. After about 10 minutes there, they were in awe.

Don’t miss the cemetery (which is across the parking area opposite the town). The inscriptions on the tombstones make you realize how hard of lives they lived and how young most of them died.

12. Shalmaneser says:

I have a Flickr set of Bodie pictures. A bit artier than the ones in the article, as I focused on interesting details. I have a picture of that same car, though!

13. desiredusername says:

I love me some ghost towns. Nothing like a little modern day vanitas to keep one’s spirit fresh.

14. tiamat_the_red says:

Wow, I recognized this place instantly when I saw the picture. It’s truely beautiful. We went there on a high school field trip and I finally began to understand the desire to live in the desert. Definitely worth a visit.

15. evanrichter says:

I visited this town on the way home from Yosemite, and I will never forget it. It was eerie and displacing, sort of. I guess I felt out of body or something. Definitely visit if you are nearby! And as a side note, my dog is named Bodie :)