Using poison gas for "suspended animation"

17 Responses to “Using poison gas for "suspended animation"”

1. Blake2go says:

Well it is about time we found a use for all that poison gas we payed for………. and I bet you thought it was only good for killing people, but then again if you killed them with it, and it also sent them into suspended animation, then did you kill them?

I think I need a lie down, and a drink!

2. btb says:

How is “suspended animation” different from your run-of-the-mill medically-induced coma?

3. Itsumishi says:

Sweet as. Can someone let me know when this is possible, I’d quite like to test this technology on some kind of giant radiation poisoned space craft. Remind me to bring my cat with me.

4. Snig says:

If it were a cheap enough procedure, it might be good to put people in this state until we can figure out universal health care. Or doctors offices and hospitals can do it until they figure out what the patient’s existing benefits cover.

This theory has been in the works for a while. Space travel is another use – obviously in a suspended state less resources (water, air) are consumed. Too bad they cant wake them back yet.

6. davetrow says:

Some EMTs are already carrying chilled saline around for a similar purpose. Perfusing cardiac victims with it slows down their metabolism and buys time.

7. tubgull says:

Liane: Doctor! Did you find out what’s wrong with him?
    Doctor: I’m afraid he’s running out of time.
    Liane: Why? What’s wrong with him?
    Doctor: It’s his time. It’s running out.
    Liane: Well what does he need?
    Doctor: He needs to have more time.
    Liane: What can we do?
    Doctor: Well, I suppose we could try a time transplant. I’ll have to call in a specialist.

8. jjasper says:

PETAgasm in 5.. 4… 3… 2… 1…

9. bbonyx says:

When I saw the pic the first thing that came to mind was:

“He’s doin’ it, but he ain’t diggin’ it!”

10. Zero!sOne? says:

Epic win for emergency medical care if they can get this to work.

Although, this will probably just end up helping rich narcissists avoid death and/or “time travel” to the future, which can’t be good for anyone (look at what Dr. Evil almost accomplished with similar circumstances).

11. Antinous / Moderator says:

“Pass away”?

Oh, CNN, do you have to use that fancy science jargon?

• phisrow says:

I’m pretty sure that “pass away” was inside Roth’s quotation marks. CNN might have leaned on him to dumb it down(or worse, might have just mangled his quote); but, as presented, it isn’t clearly CNN’s fault.

Keep in mind that hydrogen sulfide is one of the chemicals that make farts stink. So imagine being trapped in a chamber breathing nothing but flatulence until you pass out.

Still want to try this?

13. Daemon says:

Conceptually, not too far from what happens if you go under the ice in a lake or river. Happened to a guy I used to know. Was clinically dead for 10-20 minutes, but the cold slowed down his metabolism enough that there was little in the way of side effects.

If patients have cancer, AIDS or some currently-untreatable ailment, doctors could put them in suspended animation until the day when science has found an effective treatment.

15. Vinylsaurus says:

In the first Buck Rogers story he went into a coma from exposure to a gas leak in an abandoned mine. 500 years would be pushing it but it’s interesting that there could be a shred of science in that plot device.