Sequoia blew it on a public records response. We (basically EDA) have election databases from Riverside County that Sequoia insisted on "redacting" first, for which we paid cold cash. They appear instead to have just vandalized the data as valid databases by stripping the MS-SQL header data off, assuming that would stop us cold.Sequoia Voting Systems hacks self in foot (via MeFi)
They were wrong.
The Linux "strings" command was able to peel it apart. Nedit was able to digest 800meg text files. What was revealed was thousands of lines of MS-SQL source code that appears to control or at least influence the logical flow of the election, in violation of a bunch of clauses in the FEC voting system rulebook banning interpreted code, machine modified code and mandating hash checks of voting system code.
This is the first time we can legally study a voting system's innards without NDAs or court-ordered secrecy.
- Sequoia Voting Systems threatens Felten's Princeton security ...
- Sequoia Voting Systems scares NJ county off of auditing its ...
- Netherlands bans e-voting - Boing Boing
- Boing Boing: Diebold voting machine key copied from pic on Diebold ...
- Boing Boing: Tech glitch at voting machine gives Bush 3893 extra votes
- Boing Boing: Electronic voting machine rejects Governator
- Boing Boing: Vote Save Error #9 photo