Last summer, Crafster user Enemyairship debuted this magnificent 7' x 7' Raccoon Mario Rug, hand crocheted from 3.5" granny squares. ZOMGwonderful.

He's made of 386 granny squares, each one representing 1 pixel (3.5" each) that makes up Raccoon Mario. I learned to crochet in February by watching youtube videos and recently watched another video for granny squares and got started on this project right away. I had originally thought that it would take me over 1 month to complete if I made about 10 granny squares per day.

7x7ft Raccoon Mario Rug! (via Wonderland)

11 Responses to “Giant crocheted Raccoon Mario rug”

Ahem… tanuki and raccoon are not the same thing. Sorry, not trying to be a dick.

• Anonymous says:

yeah but this is raccoon mario not tanuki mario.. raccoon was just the tail, feet and ears, like this. tanuki mario was in a complete suit.. even then a tanuki is a japanese raccoon dog.. so calling a tanuki a raccoon isn’t that far off

• Anonymous says:

good thing that’s not tanuki mario then. Tanuki mario has the full body suit and can turn into the statue

The tanuki suit is completely different from the raccoon mario suit (not the same anonymous poster as the first one, i’m just too lazy to make an account)

3. tallpat says:

@Anonymous #1- That’s still pretty ballsy, to point out the difference between tanuki and raccoons…

4. PrairieChicken says:

LOVES IT! I need to get my crochet hooks warmed up!

ok can anybody tell me how to get from the regular granny squares to the totally solid squares for the rug up there, or do those squares have small holes(but look solid in the pic cuz of lo-rez)?

6. IronEdithKidd says:

That’s awesome! It’s absolutely fantastic that there are men actually interested in the allegedly female crafts again. Knitting and crocheting are useful skills. If for no other reason, you can fix your favorite sweater if it runs instead of trashing it or begging, maybe even paying someone else to do it for you. Not to mention all the geeky goodness you could make. Check out http://www.craftster.org for lots of geek-craft produced by men and women alike.

7. joki says:

In an odd coincidence Real Life just started a comic thread on this topic a couple of days ago.

8. cboop says:

i was wondering how u designed this because my brother would like me to make this rug for him.