Booklife: a guide to a sane, productive writerly life

13 Responses to “Booklife: a guide to a sane, productive writerly life”

1. Anonymous jane fleming says:

How many women wish they could organise their lives like men do. Who does the cleaning [or pays for it] who does the washing up, groceries, cooking, laundry…pays the utility bills? brings up and quietens the children.

• Maggie Koerth-Baker says:

I’m coming to the conclusion that there are two things women can do if we want to be able to balance our lives like men do.

1) Before you marry/settle down with somebody, have a big, long talk about what each of you expects and how you’ll split responsibilities in a way that’s good for both of you. And then, keep having that discussion regularly throughout your relationship, any time one of you feels like things are off balance.

2) Don’t marry/settle down with anybody who’s not willing to have that conversation and stick to it. Those people don’t deserve regular sex, let alone a maid.

2. t3knomanser says:

Someone needs to publish a guide on how to get paid for writing without it turning into a career. I’ve avoided a career my entire life, in exchange for a steady job that doesn’t require too much effort on my part.

• Cheqyr says:

Amen. Is this also targeted at those of us who have careers that they love, but want to get published as well? I guess I’m looking for a longer version of “Writing in the Age of Distraction” …

Re the comments re finding balance in a writing life if you’re a woman–I totally agree that it is unfairly harder, and this is addressed in a couple sections of the book, including the part on support from your partner. It’s also one of the sections of the book that I plan on expanding in the second edition, possibly with a full-on guest essay for the appendices.

Jeff VanderMeer

4. Eric Ragle says:

Cory, maybe I’m losing my google skills, but I can’t seem to find any articles on “How to write a novel in 60 days,” on BoingBoing. Did I just misunderstand the reference on the cover of that book?

#1 – I’ve been looking for a steady job that doesn’t require too much effort on my part. I’ve been unsuccessful.
    After twenty years in two jobs that were nerve-shattering in the demands they made (“this is a rush!” “we need this A.S.A.P.!” “Can you work ten hours overtime tonight?”) I now find myself laid off at the age of 51. I would love to earn money without having pieces of my brain ripped out of my head by insane bosses. Maybe I can herd sheep?
    Through it all, I had a spotty “career” as a writer on the side (one essay published in the NY Times Sunday section, several essays in local publications, a column and a comic strip in a weekly that went bankrupt). I welecome all advice.

6. wellsoliver says:

“Talking about arts careers can be a little icky, because, well, there’s a fine line between career-management and self-obsessed personal promotion.”

Perhaps you need to work more on finding this line?

7. Eric Ragle says:

akaSylvia: Thank you!

Cory–thanks for this. Coming from you, it means a lot.

There’s now a continually updated blog for the book. Some posts are excerpts: http://booklifenow.com

And today we posted a fun look at the tortuous process of picking the cover: http://booklifenow.com/2009/10/booklife-the-tale-of-a-cover/

Thanks!

JeffV

9. BillGlover says:

@wellsoliver Harsh.

Many writers only blog about their next release and their current writing progress. Cory keeps the balance very well. He posts about all sorts of interesting things and other people’s projects that have nothing to do with making him money. Or were you just playing the clever clever turn-the-post-back-on-the-poster game?

10. Rachael Oehring says:

Perfect! I’m definitely going to check this out. Internet writer fame, here I come!