Library 101: project on the future of libraries

7 Responses to “Library 101: project on the future of libraries”

1. Halloween Jack says:

I want to be encouraging to these young fellows, I really do, but… every few years, someone comes along who thinks that everyone still thinks of librarians as these dusty old spinsters, and becomes convinced that they’re the ones to change it all… and this is the sort of thing that they come up with.

2. KurtWagner says:

I work in a library where application profiles, metadata standards, 24X7 online customer support and feedback, web proxies, WorldCat, OAIPMH, Z39.50 protocol, usage statistics, etc , etc.. are everyday stuff and web 2.0 is dust under our feet. The semantic web is the name of the game people – and we librarians are the players now.

Looking at this clip.. er… isnt this a bit oldish ? I mean ya it was fashionable maybe in 2000. but nowadays any library would have passed the stage this had any value !
    Anyway.nice show u guys !

3. Kymberlee says:

I stumbled upon this video through someone’s blog and find it not only engaging and entertaining but very needed. I’m not a librarian but I understand the need for our society to understand and stay up-to-date with technology. Video is EXACTLY how to get a message across to the masses these days and anyone who has their finger on the pulse of culture and technology knows that.

This comment saddens me: “every few years, someone comes along who thinks that everyone still thinks of librarians as these dusty old spinsters, and becomes convinced that they’re the ones to change it all…”

Someone probably said that about Bill Gates and Paul Allen when they were “young fellows”.

Innovative, visionary people–young or old–DO need encouragement! Passionate people taking action on their beliefs to move the world forward is what we need more of. This video gives me hope and makes me curious about how to support the project. I think I’ll go to Facebook and become a fan. :-)

4. awood says:

I agree with Halloween Jack, I’m just entering the library field so I have an empathy with librarians wanting to appear up to date etc. I think libraries need to stop trying to convince the ‘youngsters’ why they are important and focus on actually being important.

Libraries have a proud history of keeping up with technology (mostly) and I hope libraries can successfully navigate the already existing and coming digital years

It is always good to cheer on those that are moving ahead and making a difference. It is also good to do something that may perk up those that are still stuck in how things used to be. It was mentioned recently how many libraries are still doing 23 Things. We may think that we’re all converted and up-to-date, but the truth is, we’re not. Go out and visit the rural libraries in your area as well as those under-funded branches…or libraries where the staff hasn’t been challenged to change.

Library 101 brought a lot of people together in a very interesting way, from current MSLIS students to seasoned veterans. And it sparked conversations, like this one. I suspect it will spark more conversations as people read the essays on the Library 101 web site and those may be conversations about where things stand now, what needs to change, etc.

Jill H-W

>>>I mean ya it was fashionable maybe in 2000. but nowadays any library would have passed the stage this had any value !

Sadly, this is not true. I work at a public library that pays lip service to technology, but doesn’t work to back it up in any way. Our card catalog was finally ripped away 8 years ago. Change is not welcome, and sadly: we have 2 branches, and are planning on opening a third.

We desperately need progress, but the old guard is not willing to give ground. They really need to see this video.

7. libraryboi says: