UK ISP TalkTalk threatens lawsuit over 3-strikes disconnection proposal

8 Responses to “UK ISP TalkTalk threatens lawsuit over 3-strikes disconnection proposal”

1. Laurel L. Russwurm says:

Good for TalkTalk!

Maybe it’s because I grew up in a kinder gentler time (the Cold War) that I have a hard time believing how fast governments can throw out civil rights.

2. Kearn says:

So, if the law were to pass, couldn’t TalkTalk and/or any band, writer, or artist opposed to the the law just continually make claims against members of government representatives households? In effect, force the whole government and their families off the internet at home, and as soon as they jump through the legal hoops to get back online, file another complaint? Or are there some details of the law that would prevent that?

If I was in the UK I would SO be switching to them!!! Way to go, guys!

Thats awesome. Talktalk just went up in my estimation.

5. RevEng says:

@Kearn: They could, and I don’t believe any of the proposed “three strikes” rules include penalties against wrongful accusations, but knowingly submitting a false accusation could easily be considered harassment and fraud. I wouldn’t want to take the chance, especially against the government.

6. RevEng says:

Dear TalkTalk,

YAY! Finally an ISP with some backbone. The ISPs don’t want this law anymore than their user’s do — it will be a legal nightmare for them and will do nothing but anger their customers.

I think big media might finally realize they can pick on college students and single mothers, but other big companies can afford to fight back.

Our elite overlords show their true clueless class with this marvellous example of incestuous lobby.
    Has the entertainment industry obviously got something on Mandy ? – one can only understand such an unpragmatic action from a former trade secretary if he is in their pocket – like Sarkozy.
    Still their interests are aligned – the neo-socialist surveillance state will require the sort of deep packet inspection that the music industry will require.
    It is impossible to imagine that such a unworkable law could ever pass parliament but if you compare it to drug prohibition then not so much.
    I am sure the anti-surveillance tories will be filled with fear apon assuming power and proceed with this as friends of infotainment.
    Just like prohibition it will require all sorts of laws to trump rights and due process to allow shadowy civil servants to examine everyones internets.
    Sounds about as popular as a food tax.

AAISP, another UK ISP, agrees.
    See http://aaisp.net.uk/news-digital-rights.html