Kevin Haw writes in to tell us about World of Warcraft and Philosophy, a new collection of essays and stories:
Plato, Socrates, Nietzsche, Adam Smith... Sure, they were all great thinkers, but how long would they have lasted in Ulduar?World of Warcraft and Philosophy (Popular Culture and Philosophy) (Thanks, Kevin!)
Continuing with the ongoing Popular Culture and Philosophy series, World of Warcraft and Philosophy, (Wrath of the Philosopher King) will be hitting bookshelves on November 1st. This collection of essays and short fiction addresses the ethics, economics, and metaphysics of Azeroth and its inhabitants. Along the way, the collection takes quick excursions on issues of gender identity, leadership, hate speech, and the likelihood of the IRS auditing a troll. Add in shoutouts to Machiavelli, Gary Gygax, and Thomas Jefferson (and, yes, even Cory Doctorow) and you've you might find yourself leveling up in intellect as well as your combat skills.
- Giant World of Warcraft tankard - Boing Boing
- World of Warcraft as everyday life in China - Boing Boing
- World of World of Warcraft: the future of gaming - Boing Boing
- Warcraft Identity of Obama's FCC Transition Team Co-Chair Revealed ...
- Pentagon researcher unveils World of Warcraft terror plot - Boing ...
- Pacifist Warcraft player trying to hit the top without killing ...
- Astronomical calculations on World of Warcraft - Boing Boing
I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.