Copyright documentary from Australian radio

6 Responses to “Copyright documentary from Australian radio”

1. arkizzle / Moderator says:

Great! I just put this on my ipod, for my commute :D

2. Peter J. Cat says:

In 2000 the awesome Australian combo The Avalanches released their album “Since I Left You”, which was alleged to include 900 or so samples, and was delayed by clearances — the band said that there was an Ur-album even chocker-full of unclearable samples; I’m not sure whether that one been released in bootleg form (there are a few candidates) but it seems a great shame that anything they can release commercially will be in some way a compromise.

I hope that APRA’s Brett “It’s not an issue of control or permission, it’s an issue of fair payment for use” Cottle is right, and that a fair system of compulsory licensing is introduced, maybe based on a proportion of the revenues generated by the derivative/creative activity so The Avalanches and others could still afford to release and distribute this stuff.

I also like the idea of the broadband/mobile phone companies kicking in a proportion of their network access fees to make sure popular artists get paid. The EFF suggested this a while ago and I can’t see much wrong with it, apart from some administrative difficulties.

I’ll see you tonight in Cambridge, Cory!

3. thequickbrownfox says:

Perhaps “Oscar” could populate his rather emaciated blog with more telling topics about the ABC – how it as become a whore for Murdoch’s “Australian” and every other right wing “think-tank” (Tax Exempt Lobbyist) you could imagine.

The Lowy Institute, Centre for Independent Studies, Institute of Public Affairs, Australian Strategic Policy Institute ….etc.

Blog about this, Oscar.

A few years ago the UK music industry was complaining that sales were down due to piracy (rather than them pumping out the same old crap we’ve heard hundreds of times before), yet if you looked into the figures you saw that they were actually making more money than the previous year because they’d raised their prices.

I just think that this radio podcast misses its mark.

Partly the problem is that it tries to tackle too much – mash-ups, intermediary liability, copyright piracy, peer to peer networks, and copyright history – in too little time. As a result, its a bit of a mish-mash.

Partly the problem is that it asks the usual questions of the usual suspects (Lessig, and Litman on side, and copyright industry figures on the other). As a consequence, it is a bit cliched and unoriginal.

I think that journalists need to lift their game on copyright law, and try to tackle the topic, with some greater focus, and originality.

6. Jesse Willis says:

For those who want a one click subscription to this documentary I’ve made a HuffDuffer podcast feed.

iTunes 1-Click |SUBSCRIBE|

And here’s the regular podcast feed for non iTunes users: