Latest Nerd Merit Badge: "Full Stack Web Developer"

13 Responses to “Latest Nerd Merit Badge: "Full Stack Web Developer"”

1. tikaro says:

@hcovitz

When I was writing that email to Mark to tell him about that our new badge was out, I wanted to Google up that date. Or the scholarly paper that postulated the date. Or…

…well, I wasn’t able to find it, and I thought I’d say “eighteenth century” and get corrected to the 19th, rather than say “nineteenth century” and get corrected to the 18th. Seems less embarassing that way.

If I can Google up the actual date, I’ll put it here. Last year, I just about pulled my hair out finding that “these darn kids today have no respect” quote from Aristotle, which turned out to be (mostly) spurious:

2. hcovitz says:

“Just like that mythical date in the eighteenth century when there was too much scientific knowledge for one person to learn in a lifetime”

I have often thought about this point, but haven’t seen it discussed anywhere. Anyone know where I can find more on this subject, in particular any term that is used for it….

3. hcovitz says:

By the way, this would have been in the 19th century, with the explosion (pardon the phrase) in chemistry. I’d guess b/w 1815 and 1840….

4. freshacconci says:

Can you get this for just successfully eating pancakes?

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. – Carl Sagan

I would have thought you need to start at the TCP/IP stack and work your way up.e

7. dabdiputs says:

you’re starting at sudo? i thought you said full stack! how about folks that aren’t scared of xor gates? heck, what about silicon mining?

8. lysdexia says:

I think a badge with Dick VanDyke in full-on one-man-band regalia might have been better than the pancakes.

or, to paraphrase the Burgermeister in “Piker’s Peak”:

“Fur less dan Fifty Sousand Kronkites, I vill build you your OWN SCHMATTERHORN.”

9. Avram / Moderator says:

Dabdiputs @3, “silicon mining”? For the real full stack, you should start with a universe full of hydrogen and a tunable gravitational constant.

10. johnnyaction says:

Not only does this apply to me but I also love pancakes!

I’d get one but I’m unemployed right now.

11. r38y says:

@diamondbach TWSS

From wikipedia: “Beginning with Type C, all merit badges have been made with a diameter of 1 1/2″ (38 mm)”

Only geeks would complain about merit badge criteria

13. Bas says: