7 Responses to “BBC's outrageous plan to put DRM on TV broadcasts shot down in flames -- thanks to you!”

1. tizroc says:

My favorite portion was this… “If Huffman compression is used then the related tables should be made available to receiver manufacturers without the need for a licence for Huffman look-up tables from the BBC”. No external fees for their “encryption” (haha).

Please do not create confusion by referring to acronyms,
    DRM can mean two things:
    DRM, Digital Radio Mondiale, (the best encoding for radio transmission) Good!
    DRM Digital rights management, copy protection) Bad!

3. vert says:

“Smear-Job?” Really? Sorry, Cory, but as much as I support your stance on DRM and IP; I can’t detect a bit of smear in that article. Plumb simply responded to your article. And where I can agree that he’s been disingenuous; I simply don’t see how he’s smearing you or BB.

4. MrJM says:

“BBC’s outrageous plan to put DRM on TV broadcasts shot down in flames — thanks to you!”

You’re welcome.

– MrJM

5. asuffield says:

Don’t know that I’d call it “shot down” – they just said “prove your case”.

6. Rob Beschizza says:

Plumb intimates that Cory was intentionally lying about the BBC because the BBC won’t “fight for his cause.” It’s just one line, but it’s a nasty one.

7. annoyingmouse says:

Smear or not, I think “However our focus is not to champion causes – it’s meeting our public service remit which means serving our many audiences as best, as fairly, and as openly as we can.” is pretty much the most nonsensical thing I’ve read all day. I don’t think “best”, “fairly” or “openly” are appropriate words to use to describe DRM. Unless, of course, it’s opposite day and nobody has told me. Then again I suppose it would be hard to tell someone that. “Is it opposite day?” isn’t really a question with a good answer on a day where no means yes and yes means no. I’m drifting…