The Running Man: behind the sketchbooks of Adam Saltsman's Canabalt

18 Responses to “The Running Man: behind the sketchbooks of Adam Saltsman's Canabalt

Periphera: Actually i’d like some features implented: A game mode in which you should avoid boxes. I found that against my friends it was more fun to compete in these “shorter runs”, where it was all about reflexes. Looking at the scores 30000m+ it gets pretty damn boring already at 5000m.

ps: When i first played the game i actually thought you were supposed to avoid the boxes.

2. Kimmo says:

V2 needs a less sensitive response to how long you hold the button so it’s actually possible for normal humans to control the size of the jump, and some way of preventing the many impossible situations that crop up.

Then I’d play it all day.

Excuse me, I’m madamluna–I’m flattered that you’d think that that Canabalt art is mine, but I just run the oekaki board it came from. The original picture ( http://bit.ly/3RVr2R ) is by GB.

It’s a lovely game, though, and this is a pretty enlightening article. Thanks!

yea i designed it on a chiclet keyboard and did not notice that it was vicious hard to play on a regular keyboard until like two weeks after it was released…lesson learned :)

5. SeattlePete says:

I got the iPhone/Pod port and play it religiously. Every morning for the past 2 weeks I’ve been tap-tap-taping away on my iPod on the crapper. Is it weird that I only play this while sitting on the John? Something about it just get me GOING – if you know what I mean.

you can avoid them and some are definitely strategically placed to slow you down. hint: for super long scores its easier to take a break at about 5000m intervals.

7. Santa's Knee says:

I have absolutely no idea what the hell this is, and with all of the adjectives being vomited into this article – I have no interest in knowing…

8. benher says:

Love love love for this game… but reading the notes and gaining insight into the creator’s head is double-plus great. Aesthetically Reminds me of “Out of the World”.

I know the point was to make a simple game, but I’d be psyched for a few more levels, roof changes as you go along, etc.

9. periphera says:

I’ve been in game design for 10 years, and I’ve never seen a design doc that wasn’t full of unimplemented features. Sometimes you run out of time/resources, but most often the game goes in a different direction once it leaves paper and enters play.

With a game as simple and beautiful as Canabalt, would you really want more features?

I love it! Nothing more, nothing less…

11. WeightedCompanionCube says:

It was called Out Of This World here in the states, but yes, that was my first thought too.

12. Mantolith says:

Good stuff, Brandon. Being is that Adam actually employs his sketchbook effectively, this was totally appropriate. *muah*

I’m hoping there’ll eventually be an Android port… iPhones aren’t that special. :(

It kinda reminds me a little of Another World, but that might be the simple mechanics and flat style

I love this game ’cause it’s a quick way to raise my blood pressure when i’m feeling sleepy. I am super excited to see the sketches.

16. willhopkins says:

This game makes my day. The design stuff notes and sketches are really neat. Interesting process.