DRM-free, free-as-in-beer Dutch Little Brother ebook

17 Responses to “DRM-free, free-as-in-beer Dutch Little Brother ebook”

Doesn’t the translator deserve some credit too? Especially if s/he agreed to make *their* intellectual work available for free download, the least one could do is mention their name.

Literary translators are paid shit, and prestige is often the only reason for translators not to give up on literature and switch to the translation of computer manuals or legal correspondence.

D.
    (literary translator in a previous life)

You know what? This really sucks. I would love to actually _pay_ _you_ for a DRM-free version in my native language. I just don’t get why publishers don’t also sell their e-books directly on their own websites. It’s not like it’s rocket science or something…

3. hapipiko says:

on my linux machine i just cant convert this epub to pdf or .prc, so I guess it coult be, what we call here in the Netherlands a broodje Aap

However this is an interesting move from an author who does not want DRM on his eBook. Good Job!

4. hmblank says:

If you’re Dutch, and able enough in English to read this blog and comment, why don’t you read Cory’s books in THEIR native language? Translations suck.

• Witteveen says:

Ha! Well I can’t remember reading anything Dutch in years (well except original Dutch authors like Couperus and Reve who I can’t see being translated into anything but a travesty – no pun intended)

Remember though, I AM DUTCH. Which means I will NEVER let pass anything free!

@hmblank: I would prefer a Dutch translation of BoingBoing as well.

6. jman077 says:

The free as in beer/free as in speech remains to be one of the funnier jokes us copyfighters came up with.

Y’all should see Dilbert today

Hmm, doesn’t work on my irex DR800…

9. nixiebunny says:

You gotta love an author who tells his readers NOT to buy his book, but to download it for free instead.

Expect a lawsuit any minute.

10. Daemon says:

Now all you need to do is figure out how to make beer actually be free.

11. Hubert Figuiere says:

Having the book licensed under a CC-SA license (ShareAlike), doesn’t that make the use of DRM actually an infringement since it prevent to Share-Alike?

Just wondering.

12. Witteveen says:

@blutec: Thanks, ABC Amber pushed it through and after replacing some systematic weird conversions i can finally read my first Cory-Story! Stoked!

13. Witteveen says:

Thanks from a Dutchy. Too bad i can neither read it with Calibre nor unpack it with winzip.

Hmmm another thankful Dutchy here, but I also seem to be having trouble with opening the file.

15. GlenBlank says:

Only if the CC-SA license is the license under which the DRM-using publisher is publishing.

The author (or rights holder) can still authorize publication under a separate license (perhaps one that involves paying him some money?), which may have terms that differ from CC-SA.

Release under CC-SA doesn’t preclude release by the rights holder under other license terms.