27 Responses to “N.A.S.A. feat. Tom Waits + Kool Keith: "Spacious Thoughts"”

1. Dewi Morgan says:

The answer to “great god almighty could it get any more awesome?” is clearly “Yes. Yes it could, if it were done by the real NASA.” But admittedly, the real NASA aren’t that far-sighted, and anyway people would grumble about them using our tax money to make more money, or something.

2. hohum says:

Well, that was fun!

3. petenice says:

An ad blocked out the right 1/3rd of the video player. The ad audio played at the same time as the video. There was no close button. It was a complete disaster.

4. PalookaJoe says:

Woohoo!

The song was fantastic, but the animation was even better. Thanks, Xeni!

5. duskiboy says:

@Anonymous | #13 |
    everything is fine on my 3 year old notebook. it likes HD, so do I. fantastic animation btw. the tune has something, although I usually dont like hip-hop.

6. TedJohnson says:

It’s like watching someone play de Blob while listening to a radio as someone keeps changing stations between a Tom Waits song and a song I don’t like.

When I saw this, I thought, “Does Tom Waits really sound like that now?!” Then I realized that I confused him with ’80s singer John Waite.

the music is terrible? Nah, when you have two vocalists as out there as these two you dont need the music to be too avant garde

incredible, I loves it

9. flipcloud says:

Doctor Octagon sounding sane as usual. Really liked this whole thing.

10. Kimmo says:

[blockquote]Rats. I was thinking “NASA has commissioned Waits and other awesomes to make songs about space?” But no, it’s some other NASA, using the acronym to sell space songs.

The answer to “great god almighty could it get any more awesome?” is clearly “Yes. Yes it could, if it were done by the real NASA.”[/blockquote]Pretty much this.

Pretty damn sweet nonetheless : D

11. gilowyn says:

Absolutely fantastic. Kick-ass. Reminded me so much of Reprazent at times… I miss those guys.

12. buenoben says:

Fantastic animation, kudos!

Is that Dr. Octagon/Fanatik-J project going to be released?

14. DeWynken says:

I’ve been listening to this entire album for a couple weeks and it’s very very good no matter what kind of music you like.

15. andydub says:

Wow, that is some exceptional motion/film/video art. Looking forward to seeing more Fluorescent Hill.

As you may know, N.A.S.A. partnered up with Indabamusic.com for a remix contest recently:
    http://www.indabamusic.com/featured_programs/show/nasa and made a great choice for the winner: an artist named Bungalow Bill

I think it’s really cool of N.A.S.A. and huge kudos to Indabamusic.

I had a blast mashing up Tom Waits with David Byrne and came in 431st place (lol): http://www.indabamusic.com/submissions/show/10868

16. Kimmo says:

Doh… it’s html here, not BBcode.

And I hate my writing when I can’t edit it…

I should get into the habit of using that preview button.

17. gobo says:

I can always count on Keith to bring the crazy, but I think Tom Waits one-upped him with lines like “The moon smells like a cherry bomb!” and “The ballon drops down at midnight, strangling a monkey with the hands of a clock.” Thank you, Tom.

18. dancentury says:

That was great. It was like a Target commercial if Target was cool.

Truly groundbreaking animation. For some reason this animation made me feel a variety of emotions all through
    Last time I was astounded about a style of animation was the ChupaChups 50th year piece. Unfortunatley the main one with the rolling hills through time in no longer web available. Flourescent Hill surpassed that work. KUDOS Flourescent Hill!

I saw Kool Kieth a few years ago in San Luis Obispo. He is a crazy guy. The show started way late, and when he finally started, he would throw a piece of “brand new” thrift store underwear into the audience every few minutes.

21. Daemon says:

Cool video. I suspect it would have been awesome if I liked rap.

Hot Rats that’s good!

23. scifijazznik says:

The video was absolutely fantastic and I’d love to see more from Fluorescent Hill. I’m a big fan of Tom Waits and I like Kool Keith alright, so it breaks my heart to say the music is terrible.

I would like to have heard something a little more experimental rather than the same stagnant beats and repetitive synth horn stabs. Imagine how this could have sounded with some of Waits’ junkyard beats and brokedown circus music behind the vocals. As it stands, this is a perfect example of why hip hop lost me so long ago.

24. erindipity says:

Kool Keith & Tom Waits…that was awesome!
    And I loved the boots.

Seriously, please stop embedding these videos in HD. I haven’t been on a computer yet that could handle HD youtube without chopping up, and this includes my g5 and powermac.

the detail is great without it, and every time i play boingboing video, i have to rush to click HD 100 times so it will eventually switch back to normal rez.

Kick ass video, but had to finally complain.

made my day!! brilliant animation & sounds from 2 of my fav. artists rolled into 1.. TY!!

Too bad about your G5. Plays perfect on my MacBook, even full-screen.

Tom is THE MAN. Now I wanna go watch Bram Stoker’s Dracula again and watch him eat some bugs.