Papercraft mecha: Metabots

12 Responses to “Papercraft mecha: Metabots”

Sounds almost exactly like Medabots which was one of my favorite shows as a kid.

2. Sam says:

Here’s a more complete store: http://stores.homestead.com/MicrorobotUSAInc/StoreFront.bok

Made by EnjoyMobil, but their website seems to be dead.

It’s pretty clear both from the Amazon reviews and the manufacturer’s site that these are not really kids’ toys. The assembly instructions appear quite complex. Also, they look to be foam core with paper decorations, not really paper models.

4. eain says:

Where can I get that orange one, though?

Augh. The grocery store near my house had these on double markdown sale for three bucks a piece and I’m kicking myself for only buying two. By the time I realized the mod possibilities, it was too late to find more. :(

6. arkizzle / Moderator says:

Yes please.

7. Zadaz says:

One of the joys of being an adult is that I can buy and enjoy toys and other ‘childish’ things without having to make any excuses.

You really have to buy these in prototype-white in my opinion. They look tastelessly colorful and silly in printed textures, but in white they looks like fancy architectural models. Also the prototype white models have paper on the outside that take crayons or markers well…thus they can be a much more creative project for a child.

Bought one of these last week for my 4 year old (of course he’s old enough) from the MOMA store. Most awesome.

10. thoreau2 says:

My kids love these kinds of paper crafts. Though these are a little more complicated then the ones they did for Thanksgiving. Was going to link to them because they’re funny, but the comment system won’t let me paste the URL, oh well.

You could start out simple (and cheap) at one of the online fan sites like:

My 5 year-old makes me print off a couple for each weekend.

12. grimc says:

Wouldn’t it be easier to decorate then assemble?