Replacing a switch on an electric shaver

24 Responses to “Replacing a switch on an electric shaver”

1. greengestalt says:

This is almost “There, I fixed it dot com” material, except it’s a neat job.

Personally will never use electric shavers again. Sliced my hand open once, could see the tendons and stuff:-) No, I didn’t sue the company, it was my fault.

Very old razor I got from my Grandpa after he died (but brand new in late 80s) and the blades were harder and harder and more expensive to get so I used them longer and longer and kept smacking it when it stuck. Eventually a blade cut through and rotated around and cut my hand! What’s weird is it didn’t hurt though my palm was split open. But I put some bandages over it (butterfly ones) and it healed up quick.

needs a missile switch cover…

3. lasttide says:

Cool that he fixed it, but is that a SPDT toggle with a center position? Weird choice, I guess if that’s what you happen to have lying around though.

4. Pantograph says:

Wow that is an incredibly ugly hack. five minutes with a Dremel and he could have installed an unobstrusive sliding switch.

Or he could have switched to a straight razor. For when the inevitable shaveocalypse comes around.

5. Stefan Jones says:

I love ad hoc repair.

A few months ago I found a nice goose-neck desk lamp in the trash. It had a lazy-suzan stuff-organizer around its base. I put in a florescent bulb and used it to illuminate my photography table.

Last month I knocked it off the table during a shot. The neck didn’t break, but the plastic collar in the lamp’s base that held the neck vertical snapped off.

I tried “welding” the plastic bits together. No luck.

So a couple of weeks back I removed the bottom of the base, chocked it upside-down with the neck in place, and filled the whole base with plaster of paris. When it set the base of the neck was firmly held in place, and the base was really thoroughly weighted.

i did the same thing when my coffee grinder gave out last summer. it turned out ugly and the safety lid didn’t work, but it was so much more satisfying than buying a new one. or even a used one.

7. hadlock says:

A momentary pushbutton switch probably would have worked better, and cost about half what a metal flip switch does.

8. zaragozadrago says:

Thats funny. It looks more like a piece of art now.
    The picture could even tell us he killed his razor and it went to razor heaven, but then coming back from the dead with a huge ….
    Hilarious.

9. Jason Olshefsky says:

On mine, it’s the batteries that die. And since I had plenty of AA NiMH rechargeables lying around, well: http://www.instructables.com/id/Replace-a-Dead-Rechargeable-Battery-in-a-Shaver-o/

10. Daemon says:

Should have been a knife switch. Sure, really dangerous, but the world needs more knife switches.

11. Ito Kagehisa says:

Use a Thorens Riviera, no need for this sort of thing. And much smoother action than a sputnik!

Of course if it ever breaks, you’ll have one hell of a time fixing it… and it weighs about a pound… but I’ve never seen anyone manage to break one.

Our television remote has a SPST switch from the front of an old computer case for a power button. In case anyone else ever has to do this, sandpaper the contacts under the old button lightly until you see shiny metal. You will be tempted to start soldering directly to those pads. This is an amateurs mistake. Use a little dab of paste flux and tin the contacts lightly. Now your wires will stick when you solder them on, and you won’t peel the traces off of the board.

My dad did that with a garage door opener. He also had a coat hanger wire sticking out of the ac/heater adjustment gap because the lever broke. I wouldn’t want to get in an accident in THAT car. The injuries just from the coat hanger… ouch!

14. Rob Beschizza says:

I tried to do with with a camcorder, the Kodak Zi8, but the on-off switch was so elaborate and delicate that once broken, it was impossible to replace or rig.

15. nixiebunny says:

No kidding! I have had the switches fail on three different (older) models of Norelco shavers. Other than the stupid switch design, which seems to cut every corner there is to be cut, they are excellent appliances.
    At least the non-battery models can have the switch bypassed, with power control being obtained by plugging the unit in or not.

16. Russell Letson says:

It’s impossible to open my favorite Braun 5597 rechargeable shaver to replace the batteries without breaking the power socket housing. So instead of popping the case and soldering in a standard rechargeable into the charging circuit board ($10 max), it either goes to an authorized repair facility ($35-60 or so–and no local shops will bother) or I figure how to acquire the proprietary replacement socket. As much as I like the Braun, I refuse to buy a new model (much, much pricier than the 5597), so it’s back to the clunky but maintainable Remington.

• Anonymous says:

You CAN open the Braun 5597 by removing the plasic insert near the mains plug. Look into the hole and you will see a white slider which keeps the case shut. Slide this away from the centre line (it’s on quite a strong spring) and it will release the catches, allowing the case to be opened. Hope this helps.
      Kerin

I like the switch that the owner has modificated as,
    it looks like some Hi-Fi gadget and will do something
    else instead of shaving.
    survival kits

18. Scuba SM says:

I agree, it needs a missile switch. Bright red. Bonus points if it’s illuminated with a red LED when the protective cover is flipped up.

19. Gilbert Wham says:

My ENTIRE HOUSE could be on there, I fixed it…

20. MrsBug says:

I hate having to buy new stuff because one simple freakin’ piece goes bad. This is a win in my book.

21. ivan256 says:

is that a SPDT toggle with a center position?

I think it’s just an illusion. It seems to be a two position switch installed in the horizontal orientation, and in the right position.

I used to have that exact razor. I ditched it back in the late ’90s when the battery stopped working. I wonder how he worked around that… Those NiCads can’t be original.

22. WaylonWillie says:

Nice job! Another good option would have been a pull-chain, like you use on a light bulb.