Fantastic faux-floor illusions

17 Responses to “Fantastic faux-floor illusions”

1. stevew says:

The Goeorgia Max Coffee of Japan modified bathrooms in ski resorts around Japan. Very well done http://www.geekologie.com/2009/03/thrill_seekers_a_skijump_bathr.php

2. David Pescovitz says:

Ha! Those ski jump bathrooms are clever.

the bathroom picture makes me want to go ahead with my idea of http://www.dirtybathrooms.com, a blog that shows pics of really dirty bathrooms…what do you guys think?

4. arkizzle / Moderator says:

I’m pretty sure the bathroom is a shoop. I can see the pixels :)

5. Jesse M. says:

As pointed out in the comments thread of the bathroom floor one, it’s photoshop art rather than something that can actually be seen on the floor of a real bathroom–see the snopes.com article. The elevator one seems to be real though!

6. forgeweld says:

The characters large enough to read in the elevator are like, Attention! Human Flesh War Chariot.

7. Modusoperandi says:

Sure, it’s funny, but only up until the point that it kills grandpa.

I agree.
    The lighting on the floor is totally different to the rest. If there was an image on the floor it would be in shadow under the radiator and at the edge of the walls.

It’s been photoshoped in.

The bathroom where I work has flat black tiles, and if I’m sitting on the can right after they’ve mopped the floors its quite reflective, and I get the illusion that I am actually sitting on a toilet several feet up in the air. It’s more surreal than unnerving.

10. Michael says:

The bathroom floor would have to be lighted for that to work – but if you were willing to spend some bucks on it, it would be pretty cool.

11. qinsound says:

it’s funny

12. BadIdeaSociety says:

The photos look pretty cool, but even if they are real the illusion only works from a single angle. If they really want to make people panic, place glass on the floor of the elevator. Of course, that makes the gimmick no longer an illusion.

I like Wile E. Coyote as much as the next guy, but…

13. Dean Putney says:

Back in the day when I was learning some basic Photoshop skills, I fiddled with the bathroom image you linked here. it was part of a contest on Worth1000.com. Here’s the image you linked to in its original context.

14. octopod says:

rofl lauren’d

hahahaha that elevator one would make me trip
    imagine seeing the guy in front of you about to step into the elevator until he realizes that theres no floor on the elevator hes about to step into and then immediately jumping back out of fear/shock/surprise

16. teleny says:

How about a bathroom wall with a large crowd of people staring at you?