Bad-ass Mad Max campout weekend, complete with working gyrocopter!

21 Responses to “Bad-ass Mad Max campout weekend, complete with working gyrocopter!”

1. Wulf says:

The many photos of big-breasted badland babes here clashes with my memory of “Road Warrior” (“Mad Max” was an unwatchable movie even without the American dubbing) is of hunky men at the forefront, not sex kittens in rubber bustieres. Maybe this is just the fond imaginings of an old geezer, but I remember the men being much more on display than the women. Which in retrospect was a bit unusual for the time. Any time, in fact.

I’m holding out for the “Tank Girl” re-enactment weekend. Comic or movie; either would be good.

What the first two posters said. So I’m thinking Warlords of the 21st Century rather than Mad Max.

I was at this event… and it was completely awesome… There was advertising for it prior if you knew where to look… Yes, the Bus driver was a KIWI, hence the flag. This, in my opinion, was better than burning man for the reasons mentioned above.

What is not mentioned is the great pirate radio that was up playing post apocolyptic sounds and commercials for Dinki-Di Dog food, the Jousting on motorbikes, the combat, the racing across the dry lake bed and re-enectments of movie chases, the awesome symposium and about 1,000 other things that made this event cool and unique.

I applaud the event coordinators.

-Jim “Goose” Howard

4. Mazoola says:

I’m waiting for the “A Boy and His Dog” re-enacters…

Hey, that my truck! Sweet.
    Funny thing was someone handed my gf that fake shotgun because we were not mad max enough.
    Bad rave music and silly costumes, but some really cool people from slab city showed up, so it wasn’t too bad.

The New Zealand flag is simply because the driver of that particular vehicle was from New Zealand. Also, to correct the info above, the gyrocopter was not built by fans, it was a real gyrocopter flown by a professional pilot.
    Look for some other pics on the net to see the vehicles and costumes that were more accurate replicas from the films (even though the “movie-inspired” original stuff was cool to).

7. VagabondAstronomer says:

Is she actually aiming a sawed off? “Just need to be sure…”

8. greytone says:

If I had known about this I would have done whatever it took to get myself there! This is so unbelievably frustrating to find out about after the fact!

That was the last of the V-8 Interceptors.

Nice, but they have a New Zealand flag on the truck, not an Australian one.

11. The People's Eyeball says:

Does the article ever explain why they’re flying a New Zealand flag, rather than an Australian one (Mad Max being an Australian movie, and all)?

12. jfrancis says:

Why does every place I’ve seen mention this mention it after the fact?

• SFedor says:

Right? Grrr, wish this was a “2 months before party” notification rather than a “look what you missed” post! Looks like an awesome time!

13. greengestalt says:

OK, this is pure awesomeness.

And, Mad Max wasn’t a “Post Nuclear” movie so much as a “Peak Oil”/”Energy Crisis” movie. Australia got hit pretty bad by OPEC in the 70s.

• Brainspore says:

You’re thinking of the second movie in the series. “Mad Max” was a pre-apocalyptic film that was just about the breakdown of society in general.

• Itsumishi says:

However, Road Warrior was the renamed Mad Max II in the States, so if it’s a Road Warrior weekend post apocalyptic would have been correct.

I’m not sure where Nuclear comes into it.

Wow I only just found out the original Mad Max was overdubbed in the US. That’s shameful.

One other funny bit of trivia for those who don’t know it.

George Miller who directed the Mad Max series is also famous for another Australian film series.

Babe. That’s right the light heart family film about a farmer and his talking pig that wants to be sheep dog. (Just read that American accents were over dubbed for this too!! GRR!!)

14. JoshP says:

trying to figure out how to put my portable propane forge on the back of my klr650 in case they have another one…:)

15. nixiebunny says:

It’s just like Burning Man, but without all the goddamn hippies! Or the goddamn rules!

Would have been awesome if some Fallout paladins showed up to do righteous battle for the tech…

The NZ flag? Probably an innocent mistake as most people know that anything decent in Oz was usually stolen from NZ.