Custom laser-engraved patent drawings on copper sheets

12 Responses to “Custom laser-engraved patent drawings on copper sheets”

1. bfarn says:

From Prior Art:
    Thanks everybody for the great response! We’re really flattered by the interest this project is generating.

To clear up a few questions:
    -Madsci is right, we don’t use lasers (though we think they’re pretty cool). We coat our plates with a protective lacquer, then engrave them using a diamond scribe, and finally treat the plates with a chemical oxidizer to blacken the engraved lines. It’s an involved process, but we think the final results are stunning.

-And as for the resolution issue, Google’s patent database has incredibly high resolution scans, which we then convert to line-art. There’s no pixelation, only clean lines. Check out the gallery for some examples.

Anyway, thanks again to all you Happy Mutants for the great response. Happy…… mutanting?

2. MadMolecule says:

Ah! I’ve been looking for an image to complete one of the Christmas gifts I’m making this year, and I hadn’t even considered patents. This is brilliant; thanks for posting!

The title says “laser-engraved” but the quote says “router” and the FAQ says they use diamonds (a diamond cutting head on their CNC router perhaps?). Curious internet monkeys want to know! Which is it?

I find the USPTO site still does a better job finding patents. Clunky interface, but it works. Sometimes Google flat out refuses to find issued or published patents. However, Google lets you download as PDF’s. So I use both.

5. jerwin says:

How high resolution is the source material? Copper engraving, when done by hand, involves a certain economy and fluidity of line. When stray pixels and aliased artifacts guide the scribe, that aesthetic quality is compromised.

6. ianmckay says:

This reminds me of a book I just read….now if they could only make them in 3d.

7. andygates says:

I want a diagram of some absurd automatic page-turning device from the 1880s to use as the cover of my next ebook reader…

8. naufragio says:

If you’re looking for ideas, this book should help: http://www.amazon.com/Patently-Ridiculous-Richard-Ross/dp/0452285879

Or for a timely commemorative piece honoring the deceased king of 2009: http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT5255452

I absolutely love this concept!! Outstanding!! I’m thinking a patent of the first washing machine would be so radical!! You all rock, now my gift list has gotten shorter!
    Brilliant!

10. madsci says:

Nowhere does that site mention lasers. In fact, they state in at least two places that the engravings are done with some sort of diamond scribe.

11. Mazoola says:

If only the images submitted for patent 4,022,227 weren’t so crude.