James Lipton in hilarious LG ad campaign: "Before You Text, Give it a Ponder"

24 Responses to “James Lipton in hilarious LG ad campaign: "Before You Text, Give it a Ponder"”

1. Xeni Jardin says:

@MCN, that’s silly. The ads feature both female and male subjects who don the Beard of Wisdom. I don’t see this as trans-hating at all. Maybe if all the spots featured teenage girls, okay, but half of them feature dudes. And I say that as someone who is unafraid to call out trans-hating, and who is trying to be as mindful and sensitive as possible about discrimination or prejudice around sexual and/or gender identity matters.

2. FreakCitySF says:

Where can I buy a beard like that, or make one!

The Barbarian Group in Boston did the Subservient Chicken ad. Did they do this one too?

4. Dave Bullock (eecue) says:

So now they need to do a special edition version of this advert with Will Ferrell. Yes that would rock.

Y&R NYC created these commercials.

6. luketheobscure says:

I think Crispin Porter and Bogusky were the masterminds behind subservient chicken. I could be wrong though. I frequently am.

7. Thanks for the feedback. Y&R conceived and produced the spots and produced the web campaign components with digital partner VML’s NYC office.

8. Sean Blueart says:

I like the way he transforms her appearance-wise and consciousness-wise into Jesus.

What Would Jesus Forward/ReTweet?

10. lizstless says:

Hey guys –

We, The Barbarian Group, did the Subservient Chicken WITH Crispin – it was a team effort – they dreamt it up, we built it.

As for this, we weren’t involved. Don’t know if Crispin was.

– Rick Webb, Barbarian Group

11. MrsBug says:

So deliciously funny. Watch the Catfight one. James Lipton saying “oven mitt hot”….riot.

12. oscar says:

This was done by mega-advertising firm Young & Rubicam: http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/tvfilm/8463

13. Xeni Jardin says:

Hi, Rick, apologies for the inaccuracy on my part and thank you for weighing in!

14. cymk says:

Damn now I have an awesome idea for next years halloween, I just need a detachable James Lipton beard.

15. milovoo says:

These may just be the best PSAs* that I have ever seen.

* If PSA is the right term for a altruistic commercial message.

16. Berandor says:

Good to know that women think about ridiculous ponies and catfights, whereas guys think about allergic reactions and how their girlfriends are twitter addicts.

17. franko says:

“james lipton” and “junk” are now in my mind, dangerously close to each other. *shudder*

18. mcn says:

As the inimitable Shakesville points out, “While I quite genuinely appreciate the humor of James Lipton referring to a unicorn collectible by the name “Clippy-Clippy Clipclop,” my delight was somewhat diminished by: 1. Finding the implied absurdity of a girl in a beard to be transphobic; 2. Feeling vaguely creeped out by the idea of a man in a teenage girl’s bedroom, of whom she’s unaware even as he touches her face; 3. Objecting strongly to using a beard, culturally associated with masculinity and maleness, to represent thoughtfulness—note that the girl isn’t thoughtful until she’s marked with a symbol of masculinity. Fail.”

I can’t help but agree.

19. Ben says:

Boy, when he puts the beard on that girl in the Catfight one, she bears a freakish resemblance to Dave Navarro.