The Art of Tony Millionaire is a beautiful and demented treasury of the works of Tony "Maakies" Millionaire, who manages to turn out some of the weirdest and angriest comic strips in the business while simultaneously writing sweet and lovely children's books employing the same characters (some trick!).
TAoTM is about what you'd expect from a major retrospective of a versatile, talented cult illustrator: perfectly reproduced art from across his career, from adolescent zines to the present day, with several full-page color plates and lots of real rarities. Interspersed with this is some of the weirdest, most unbelievable, scariest and grossest anaecdotes about Millionaire's life that you could hope to read.
As with all of Millionaire's work, TAoTM is a study in contrasts: the sentimental, the heroic, the grotesque, the scatological, often in the same page (sometimes on the same line). It's an experience like no other.
The Art of Tony Millionaire (Thanks, Dark Horse, for sending me a review copy!)
- An archive of Maakies comics. - Boing Boing
- Boing Boing: HOWTO make your own Maakies sock-monkey
- Drinky Crow TV show pilot episode - Boing Boing
- Sock monkey goddess - Boing Boing
- Sock Monkey is a ShockWave - Boing Boing
- Cartoonists' toys at Critterbox - Boing Boing
- Drinky Crow jack-in-the-box - Boing Boing