The Year Before The Flood: an introduction

7 Responses to “The Year Before The Flood: an introduction”

1. Citizen K. says:

I’ve read both books; they’re wonderful. The best arguments about we need to save NOLA out there.

2. Tritty says:

beautiful so much emotion. i can tell that ur feet have walked on those soaked streets, n uv picked w its amazing musicians. caint wait ta read the rest

3. Diamond Jim says:

Greetings, Ned–wonderful to see you here, looking forward to these two weeks!

4. Steaming Pile says:

This reminds me of a silent film documentary I watched on Roku (via Netflix) a few weeks ago about a day in the life of Berlin in the summer of 1926, a few years before the world went mad. Now, I had just returned from Berlin on a vacation trip a few days earlier, and the Berlin of 1926 bore scant resemblance to the Berlin of today. I recognized a few of the subway stations, but that was about it.

5. Xeni Jardin says:

@Maddy, that’s a fussy and rude thing to say. You’re going way out of your way to find nits to pick with our guest, cut it out. I wrote the italicized bio that precedes the body of this blog post, not Mr. Sublette. It’s not a “resume,” it’s a blog post. The man lives in New York and writes about a specific place, and spends a lot of time there — nothing incongruous about noting that.

6. Maddy says:

“and travels often to New Orleans” is one of the weirder resume highlights I’ve heard. I read down further and saw he wrote a book about NO, which is worth noting, but I can’t imagine giving me blogger cred as “travels often to Canal Winchster” …

I was in NOLA just over a month ago and happened to pick up The World that Made New Orleans, which I am enjoying. And, of course, I greatly enjoyed seeing that the city is coming back to life. Music is the perfect lens through which to view the rich cultural life that is NOLA and I look forward to The Year Before the Flood. Thank you for posting the above intro section.