Detainee 063: serialized interrogation and torture log of Mohamed al-Kahtani

15 Responses to “Detainee 063: serialized interrogation and torture log of Mohamed al-Kahtani”

1. joeposts says:

wow. As I read I’m trying to count the violations of the Third Geneva Convention. I know that the conventions don’t count in the USA as of 9/11, but it’s still a useful moral yardstick (and nothing more, sadly). Comparing the POW rules with Detainee 063′s records is pretty disheartening.

“No physical or mental torture, nor any other form of coercion, may be inflicted on prisoners of war to secure from them information of any kind whatever. Prisoners of war who refuse to answer may not be threatened, insulted, or exposed to unpleasant or disadvantageous treatment of any kind.”

I’m still at the beginning, but compare that to:

“Detainee requested to use the restroom. When offered a bottle he said that he wanted to go outside. Control told him he could not, he would have to use the bottle. Detainee agreed. As preparations were being made control was talking about his behavior and how to get off the gurney, detainee urinated in his pants.”

2. joeposts says:

“If he was not a member of Al Qaeda, I might have sympathies.”

Why do you need sympathy to see that treating people inhumanely is wrong, perverts the course of justice and is very very stupid?

3. stegodon says:

“Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain.”

4. eviladrian says:

It’s weird, but on reading this, I was constantly reminded of those freaky “instant pick-up” guys with all their canned “ego up/ego down” tricks and depersonalising “if she does X you do Y” responses.

It’s like they’ve both stumbled on the same sinister algorithm of manipulativeness. Are the interrogators seducing their detainees or are the PUAs torturing women in bars?

5. joeposts says:

Classic good cop/bad cop routine:

“SGT R runs a harsh pride & ego down approach. ENS C (as rehearsed earlier) comes in and asks SGT R what he is doing. ENS C says ‘Don’t talk to him like that, he’s a human being.’ SGT R says ‘Human beings don’t kill 3000 people’ and storms out.”

If human beings didn’t do it, I guess he’s a fan of the controlled demolition theory. Or the pod-missile theory.

6. Oren Beck says:

If you feel no shame about Torture? -I gently suggest you consider getting professional help!

I feel the measure of a nation’s character is in which actions are called prides or shames. Anyone calling torture a thing to have pride in may be a Sociopath. IF they say Opposing Torture is anything other than a duty of sane humans- then I fear that person’s a Psychopath. I just never in my worst nightmares thought we’d have dispute over so fundamental a point of basic human sanity. Sane humans claiming Torture to be EVER needful scares me nearly beyond words. I hold proponents of any Torture whatsoever arguably are showing SELF_forfeiture of their own sanity AND humanity. Of course- denying the humanity of the humans being Tortured excuses nothing..

7. joeposts says:

“Interrogators gave class to new MPs in view of detainee stating the resistance training, clouded thinking, series of mistakes, and attempts to gain control that the detainee has exhibited. Interrogators ran puppet show satirizing the detainee’s involvement with Al Qaida.”

You can’t make this stuff up.

8. Jonam says:

Amazing that so many doctors are present or providing support to the interrogators and by default condoning torture. I suppose they conveniently forgot their Hippocratic oath. Wonder who they are and which public hospitals they are working in nowadays. I wouldn’t want to be their patient.

9. Nonny says:

We used this interrogation log to build the audio for a virtual reality immersive journalism experience on what it means to be put in a stress position. We used a head mounted display and had individuals listen to the interrogation as if it was being played in the adjacent room while “standing” in a stress position. You can watch the video about this experience at:

10. Rob Beschizza says:

Speaking of torture, look at the JPEG artifacts in that photo!

11. marco antonio says:

JohnCJ: You can’t be serious? You think it’s okay to torture?

1. It’s a low, sub-human behaviour which achieves nothing except creating power-hungry monsters and broken, bitter people.

2. Intelligence gathered is less in quantity and quality than good detective work (google “torture” and “unreliable”)

3. It presumes that the person you have is indeed guilty of something. Many are in fact guilty of nothing. (google “guantanamo” and “innocent”)

Seriously. You think it’s okay for any government to kidnap based on unfounded reasons, torture beyond the need for information, and lock up for life people who are proven innocent? (re: ‘guantanamo innocent’).

I hope you never find yourself in similar circumstances.

• IronEdithKidd says:

Thank you, Marco. You said essentially what I had planned to say to JohnCJ only less diplomatically.

Still, JohnCJ, what you apparently lack the clarity of thought to understand that abiding by the Geneva Conventions *did* provide some small measure of protection for US citizens travelling abroad. But with that attitude, my guess is that you won’t be traveling outside of your county anytime soon, let alone out of country.

12. teapot says:

November 28 – 13:00
    “Subject was given cheeseburger and MRE. He had some worry if the burger was O.K. for him to eat, he finally decided it was.”

December 2 – 10:30
    “Control began “birthday party” and placed party hat on detainee. Detainee offered birthday cake – refused. Interrogators and guards sing “God bless America”. Detainee became very angry.”

December 2 – 18:00
    “Third Shift began interrogation with Al-Qaida Falling Apart theme. Detainee ate one Hostess Cupcake with interrogation team.”

JohnCJ – Fck y.

13. JohnCJ says:

If he was not a member of Al Qaeda, I might have sympathies. I think you are all blowing this a bit out of proportion.

14. Robert says:

December 6, 0100: Detainee taken to porch where he can see foraging banana rats and told that he chose this life with the rats.

Look at those banana rats. Just look at them.

I cope by means of humor.