Secret copyright treaty meeting coming to New Zealand; activists get ready

14 Responses to “Secret copyright treaty meeting coming to New Zealand; activists get ready”

1. boingaddict says:

I think the world should be concentrating on a more important issues that this. Hello, earth heating up n stuff.. will die because of it. Maybe use the same vigor with creating emmission cap plans…..just a thought

2. boingaddict says:

ps: the comment was pointing at the secret copyright creators…..

3. EH says:

Next meeting: Antarctica! After that: Ulaan Bataar, then St. Pierre/Miquelon, before the final meeting on Midway island.

• apoxia says:

Antarctica isn’t far away, it’s a five hour flight from New Zealand!

Seriously though, we get enough crap about being far away from everyone else. But actually we’re just far away from Europe and the Eastern US. I can get to LA in 13 hours.

I also live in .nz is there any sort of mailing group I can join or even facebook group?

I live in New Zealand – what can I do?

• fogonwater says:

NZ folks can visit acta.net.nz. It’s been set up to sharing information about ACTA and discuss its implications. It is likely to be an important place for coordinating action.

6. arkizzle / Moderator says:

BoingAddict..

Thanks for the clarification, was priming my SnootShooter 3000.

Ironically, this is when it becomes helpful that most ISPs are owned by big and powerful telcos. As soon as they realise that this legislation will take a lot of money out of their pockets for which Hollywood won’t reimburse them, they will go to the governments and the courts themselves, with the home field advantage! However, I dread the pound of flesh they will get from their customer base when they win.

8. boingaddict says:

hehe any time, i tend to not read before i post and that can get me into trouble at times

Even though I don’t or ever have lived in NZ, I wish them the best of luck in making sure it doesn’t pass!

10. C. A. Bridges says:

I really don’t see the problem. As soon as the three-strikes law goes into effect, start reporting every politician, lobbyist, and (most importantly) RIAA employee you can find for copyright infringement. No proof is necessary, apparently, so it should be simple to cut the entire industry off from the Internet in a week or so.

• Anonymous says:

I wish people would stop downplaying three-strikes with this clever “solution”. You know if this kind of law gets passed there’s either going to be:

1) Restrictions on who can make the accusations (sorry, corporations and associations only)
      2) Criminal penalties for intentionally abusing the system (similar to perjury for false DMCA notices)
      3) Even if companies/politicians were taken offline (if it was automated maybe), the charges would be quickly reversed

• insert says:

Mr. Bridges, where’d you get the silly idea that the law would be applied equally?