WWIII propaganda posters for sale, 25% to EFF

20 Responses to “WWIII propaganda posters for sale, 25% to EFF”

1. ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive says:

Simply slapping a caption on one of Norman Rockwell’s most powerful images just trivializes what Rockwell created. Make your own art that expresses your own statement. Don’t exploit other people’s work without adding something yourself. Learn to draw or paint your own powerful images and contrinute to culture, don’t just consume it.

2. DukeThomson says:

I accidentally just bought one but thats okay. I enjoy donating to the cause, and I think the art on this is just fab.

3. arikol says:

well, it IS art by Norman Rockwell (one of them, anyway), and he was pretty good…

4. Jim O'Connell says:

I don’t think that Norman Rockwell image is in the public domain. Just looked at the Library of Congress and they had this to say about the image:

The artwork done by Norman Rockwell for Saturday Evening Post is protected by copyright. Privacy and publicity rights may apply.

Access: Permitted; subject to P&P policy on serving originals.

Reproduction (photocopying, hand-held camera copying, photoduplication and other forms of copying allowed by “fair use”): Permitted, subject to P&P policy on copying, which prohibits photocopying of the original artworks.

Publication and other forms of distribution: Restricted. Curtis Publishing claims the copyright to all artwork done by Norman Rockwell for the Saturday Evening Post, including the “Four Freedoms” paintings and “Hasten the Homecoming,” which were later published by the U.S. government for WWII war bond promotion. Privacy and publicity rights may also apply. For permission, contact:
    Curtis Publishing
    c/o Jeanne Kelsay, President of Marketing

• holtt says:

I sorta wondered if the Rockwell was really in the public domain too. And it’s not like he did a satyrical work from it.

Thoughts from the artist? From Cory?

• Moriarty says:

I like the idea of satyrical work. You could totally use this image to seduce some wood nymphs.

• Brian "DoctaBu" Moore says:

Artist here—

I took down the Net Neutrality poster last night when I saw Jim O’Connell’s link. Everybody I had spoken with and all of the information I looked up (including actually asking the Boston Public Library staff) seemed to point to the content being in public domain. However, after reading through that page, it seems as though the publishing company has copyright over the WWII poster.

I’m not sure if this classifies as parody, though.

5. sasa says:

It doesn’t ship to Serbia. Sometimes I feel like I’m living in a black hole.

6. gewurztraminer says:

I always wondered if Norman Rockwell made that guy look like Abe Lincoln on purpose.

• mstoddard says:

He did. Rockwell purposefully used the same models in different paintings, as is the case between this freedom of speech poster and this one of Lincoln.

He so carefully considered the people in his paintings that he frequently would redo them entirely with different models until he got the feel he was aiming for.

7. Chris Spurgeon says:

Hmm, not seeing that poster on Brian’s site, just two others. The estate of Norman Rockwell brought the hammer down?

Wait, World War 3? Oh NO!

9. yesno says:

EFF does not support net neutrality efforts.

The eyes are a problem. What is this guy looking at? A clock? Imaginary woodland sprites dancing on the ceiling? Is he having a stroke? Is he high? This dude looks a few fries short of a happy-meal. He reminds me of one of those earnest crazy people you run into that seem genuinely nice but batty, so you politely listen to them spout off nonsense before making a strategic retreat.

11. LeSinge says:

Hey, I totally used this guy’s head in my Thanksgiving Zombie image! I was wondering why it looked familiar…