Original blueprints of the Eiffel Tower

18 Responses to “Original blueprints of the Eiffel Tower”

Based on these blueprints I’d say the guy was either a certified genius or an aesthetic wacko.

2. Gregory Franzese says:

These images are amazing. Thanks for posting.

3. DrunkinBum says:

Still a marvel of engineering and aesthetics perfection in it’s blending…

Bum

Great, now the terrorists have all the information they need.

5. baccaruda says:

Fun Fact: The recent G.I. Joe movie depicts the destruction of the Eiffel Tower. Of course it is a digital rendition of the Tower; “To create the digital Eiffel Tower, the technicians had access to the original building plans, and built a digital model so complex that could not fit in a single file”.
    After every movie I watch, I read its Wikipedia article for fun and for a greater understanding of the film I just enjoyed. I thought it remarkable that they crammed so much detail into their digital Eiffel Tower that it exceeded the capacities of the programs used to develop it…

6. TheFirstMan says:

Am I wrong in thinking that the Eiffel tower wasn’t designed by Eiffel? Wasn’t it one of his underlings?

Ah, yeah:

7. Adam Stanhope says:

It never ceases to amaze me how big the tower is.

Little known fact – the Eiffel Tower is the key to unlocking a 19th century revolution in science and technology.

9. Beverly Stayart says:

Gustave Eiffel was an engineering genius, as evidenced by the mathematical precision of these impressive blueprints of the Eiffel Tower.

10. jphilby says:

Dammit … just enough resolution to pique interest, not enuf to satisfy it.

11. eggoeater says:

Also worth noting is the influence of the Eiffel tower in terms of sheer awesomeness.
    In 1893, the worlds fair was held in Chicago; they wanted to do something to “out-Eiffel” Eiffel. Eiffel himself offered to design something for the fair, but organizers wanted an American designer. They ended up building something almost as big, but which also moved:

The 1893 fair was truly amazing. I highly recommend the book “Devil in the White City” if you’re interested in learning more.

12. nanuq says:

“Eiffel himself offered to design something for the fair, but organizers wanted an American designer.”

They did know that he partially designed the Statue of Liberty, right?

13. coaxial says:

Ever since I found out that the Eiffel Tower was designed to be dismantled after the World’s Fair, I’ve wanted to steal it. Just get a bunch of 18-wheelers, and abscond with it in the middle of the night, Carmen Sandiego style.

For a good acount of the building of the tower and the characters surrounding the World’s Fair, see:

Eiffel’s Tower: And the World’s Fair Where Buffalo Bill Beguiled Paris, the Artists Quarreled, and Thomas Edison Became a Count by Jill Jonnes

15. Luc says:

#5, your Wikipedia link says the Chicago Ferris wheel was 1/4 the height of the Eiffel tower. Even the world’s tallest Ferris wheel is only about half the size of the Eiffel tower.

16. braininavat says:

No doubt boingboingers everywhere will now be building Eiffel Tower replicas in their back yards, using advanced materials made from common household ingredients, of course! (I’m thinking shotcrete mixer with baking soda) Don’t forget to put a wifi transceiver on top.