Julie Newmar as April Conquest

26 Responses to “Julie Newmar as April Conquest”

1. Robbo says:

The three women of the screen I have always always loved are Myrna Loy, Diana Rigg and Julie Newmar. There afre others of course but those three were always so iconic. And it’s not so much an indication of how tall Newmar was as it was proof of how freakin’ short Davey Jones was.

2. Glenn Fleishman says:

“wooden cheese cutting boards”

rrrrr….wha’?

3. PeaceLove says:

Mmmm…Julie Newmar…mrrrowrrr…

She has *vibe*.

4. pinehead says:

Julie Newmar’s height is listed as 5’10″, while Davy Jones is listed at 5’3″. So it kinda-sorta IS similar to the proportions seen in Avatar, just on a little smaller scale.

5. Pope Ratzo says:

Although she doesn’t know it, Julie Newmar was instrumental in my first sexual experience. (I originally included the adjective “manual” in that last sentence, but I figure that goes without saying)

I’m betting there are a lot of men my age with similar stories.

As someone else mentioned, Diana Rigg was also one of my early “partners”. It still takes my breath away to see photos of either one of them from that era.

6. IWood says:

Thanks for everything.

7. InsertFingerHere says:

Rigg, Welch, Newmar and Fonda (Jane) Are my 60′s Harem.

8. spithole says:

Actually, I much purrrferred Eartha Kitt’s portrayal of Catwoman on the 60s TV show.

9. hep cat says:

So now I’m supposed to try and sleep imagining an event that brings together technology journalists, Julie Newmar, Jerry Pournelle, and wooden cheese cutting boards? With or without cheese?

That detail will be revealed right?

10. Roach says:

To Mark Frauenfelder,

Thanks for everything.

-Roach

11. AtomicAgent007 says:

Oh there’s some special effects at work there my friend, no CGI required though;)

12. efergus3 says:

“Does not compute.”

*cinema-geekout*

It’s not Special Effects if it’s added in after with CGI. Special Effects are things like on-set explosions or cars flipping, anything that physically happens and is captured on camera.

Visual effects, while originally refering to optical tricks and illusions used in film making, is now the term used to refer to after-the-fact CGI work as well, having largely supplanted the older usage because illusions in film aren’t used much any more.

~D. Walker

In The Marriage Go-Round (1961), Julie warns Susan Hayward that she’s bigger, better, smarter, stronger, prettier, faster … and so on, and that other women are correct to feel threatened by her. Yep.

15. quesie says:

I am related to Julie Newmar, by marriage.

You may all start weeping and gnashing your teeth now.

16. blueelm says:

I used to always try to look like her

17. drkptt says:

Julie holds a couple of US Patents for ladies undergarments. Note that one of the examples on the USPTO website ‘advanced search’ page features her inventions:

Plug ‘in/newmar-julie’ into the query box as suggested. You get Patent #4,003,094–’Pantyhose with shaping band for cheeky derrier relief’

Meow!

18. Rick. says:

Back in the 90s, I did some visual effects work on a Monkees TV movie, working directly for Mike Nesmith. (He was nice.) The rest of the Monkees were in the facility I worked in and I caught glimpses of each here and there.

I ran into Davey Jones while leaving the restroom. He came up to about my chest, about the same as the photo above, and I’m only 5’8″. So Ms. Newmar must be about the same height.

On another note, when I entered the Monkees’ temporary production office in our building, it was filled with super-hot young women. Once a rock star, always a rock star!

19. Bitgod says:

Myrna isn’t grasping the “banana in the tail pipe” trick. :)

I’ll agree with the Myrna Loy, Diana Rigg and Julie Newmar grouping, with a dash of Bettie Page, Yvonne Craig and Lynda Carter.

20. kaini says:

“look at the size difference”? – i can actually see two. meow indeed.

21. mdh says:

my second favorite episode of the Monkees! After the Zappa episode, of course.

22. spithole says:

- she-larious -

23. bat21 says:

She is very statuesque. Meow.

24. SKORPIO says:

My favorite Catwoman! I had such a crush on Julie when I was in the second grade.