I'll probably hold out for a Nexus-6, myself

66 Responses to “I'll probably hold out for a Nexus-6, myself”

1. Strange Quark Star says:

It’s your birthday. Someone gives you an unlocked iPhone.

–I wouldn’t accept it. Also, I’d report the person who gave it to me to the police.

Commerce, is our goal here at Google. More smartphone than iPhone is our motto. Android is an experiment, nothing more.

Don’t know — I, I don’t know such stuff. I just do screens. Just screens — Just touchscreen design — just screens. You Nexus One, huh? I design your screen!

I think it was manufactured. Look. Finest quality. Superior workmanship. There is a maker’s serial number 9906947-XB71. Interesting. Not cell. Smartphone!

– Smart phone?

Try HTC, they make this smartphone.

Deckard? You know those files on me? The release date, the connectivity, those things. You saw them?

We’re not computers Sebastian, we’re smartphones.

Taffey Lewis presents Miss Salome and the nexus.

~ ~ Watch her take the pleasure from the ‘silent ring’

3. JIMWICh says:

Cook: He say you iPhoner.

Deckard: Tell him I’m switching.

“You no dial here … Illegal !!

5. patdavid says:

This post, and subsequent comments, are pure win!

6. Brainspore says:

As I recall nobody in that movie even had a cell phone.

7. Avram / Moderator says:

“I want more minutes, father.”

stop right where you are,Deckard

you know the score,pal .. you’re either iphone or you’re little people

9. Rob Beschizza says:

“Quite an experience to have a 2-year contract, isn’t it? That’s what it’s like to be a slave.”

10. Rob Beschizza says:

“Too bad she won’t get through on AT&T. But then again, who does?”

11. jeligula says:

Snicker. Brilliant, Xeni.

It’s going to be available on Verizon this Spring. What’s not to be excited about?

13. mneptok says:

The new Google device was named after the humanoid robots in Bladerunner.

Uhhhh ….

The Nexus series in Blade Runner were not robots or androids, but genetically engineered wholly biological organisms.

Guess it’s time for you to watch the film again. :)

• akbar56 says:

Genetic or mechanical, the term android still works for me.

They are artificial creations that just happen to look and function like humans.

• Anonymous says:

Actually they were androids. Guess it’s time to read the book again :)

• mneptok says:

Since Bladerunner (sic) was mentioned, and not Dick’s novel with an entirely different title, calling Batty And Co. “humanoid robots” is incorrect.

“I just do eyes. Just genetic design. Just eyes!”

AFAIK, androids do not require “genetic design.”

• Brainspore says:

AFAIK, androids do not require “genetic design.”

“Early in the 21st century, the TYRELL corporation advanced Robot evolution into the NEXUS phase – a being virtually identical to a human – known as a Replicant.

It might not jive with real world terminology, but according to the terms set in the opening of the film the replicants were officially meat-based robots that looked like people. (Probably through some sneaky legal maneuver by a Tyrell corporation lawyer.)

• Anonymous says:

Historically, the word “android” referred to artificial, non-mechanical organisms with a human shape. Of course, the original robots, in R.U.R., were androids. The use of the word “robot” to refer to a mechanical person (and then later simply to what we would consider a “robot”) was something that happened later on, in I think the 30s – certainly by the time Asimov’s “Strange Playfellow”|”Robbie” was published in 1940, and Susan Calvin’s first appearance was I think in “Liar!” in 1941. In Asimov’s robot novels, the term used for a robot that looks like a person is “humaniform robot.”

From what I remember, the use of “android” to refer to a mechanical human was really rare until Lucas called Star Wars’ robots “droids.”

I don’t remember the details of *Do Androids Dream…* well enough to recall if Dick saw his androids as artificial organisms or mechanical; certainly the *Electric Sheep* part of the title would suggest the latter! Also, in “Electric Ant,” the artificial person is mechanical.

So all in all, I’d say that “android” is a reasonable enough word for what the Nexus-6 is in *Blade Runner*.

Anyway, I thought it was Xeni for the win with “Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about… your carrier.” Then I came across the one posting that outdid it: Xeni, again, with “Is this testing whether I’m a smart phone or a lesbian, Mr. Deckard?”

• Anonymous says:

I just finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and the book refers to the Nexus-6 models as androids. It briefly discusses their biological components, but formally calls them androids.

So according to the souce material, they’re androids.

• 2k says:

Replicants do though!!!

How accelerated can we expect the Nexus One’s decrepitude to be?

15. Xeni Jardin says:

Fair enough, we’ll call ‘em humanoids.

“I’ve had calls drop on me before. but not when I was being so…charming.”

Must be expensive.

A new life awaits you in the Off-Apple colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

19. Xeni Jardin says:

“It’s an AT&T contract, designed to provoke an emotional response… Shall we continue?”

20. fcw says:

“You’re in Starbucks. You see an iPhone user lying on her back, struggling to connect, and you’re not helping. Why is that?”
    — question #1 of the Voice-Comm test.

21. Angstrom says:

Holden: One-one-eight-seven at Hunter-Vasser.
    Leon: That’s the hotel.
    Holden: What?
    Leon: On streetview, that’s it there, no, damn, hang on it’s … oh. How do you , erm, make it go back?

————–
    Rachel: “You know that Voight-Kampf test of yours? There’s an app for that”

22. Contrasoma says:

Deckard: You’re reading a techblog. You come across a hi-res photo of a new iPhone prototype. You show it to your owner. He likes it so much he makes it your wallpaper.
    Nexus 1: I wouldn’t let him.
    Deckard: Why not?
    Nexus 1: I should be enough for him.

• Xeni Jardin says:

“Is this testing whether I’m a smart phone or a lesbian, Mr. Deckard?”

• Contrasoma says:

“Remember when you were just unboxed? You and a BlackBerry were gonna sext each other n00dz. He sent you his, but when it got to be your turn you chickened and switched off. Remember that? You ever tell anybody that? Your provider, Larry Page, anybody?”

23. skyex says:

Have you felt yourself to be exploited in any way?

Like what?

Well… well, like to get this job. I mean, did… did you do, or… or were you asked to do anything lewd… or unsavory, or… or, otherwise repulsive to your… your iPhone, huh?

There will probably be at least 5 or 6 different special edition director’s cuts of the phone coming out over the next 12 months.

25. EricT says:

I read this thread yesterday but my inner monolog kept getting in the way and explaining the obvious jokes.

This morning I came in to read the thread again. there was a bit more postings and some were better then before and my inner monolog was gone. I actually found this reading to be better and probably closer to what the OP really intended me to read.

26. Flashman says:

“Your phones. Give them to me.”

27. 2k says:

I was out of service when I came in here, I’m twice as out of service now!

Rob Beschizz wins the thread

- We began to recognize in them a strange obsession. After all, they are emotionally inexperienced, with only a few megs in which to store up the applications which you and I take for granted on the iPhone. If we gift them with an unlocked device, we create a cushion or a pillow for their applications, and consequently, we can control them better.

30. davevontexas says:

Google told me this phone was special, no termination date. I didn’t know how long we’d have together, but then again… who does?

31. slgalt says:

Includes Origami Unicorn Chaser with every order.

32. BookGuy says:

“This is our new Pris phone. It’s your basic pleasure model.”

33. kromekoran says:

this post and the comments that followed bring such sweet tears to my geek eyes. I declare this Win of the Day (cc).

34. Hirsty says:

“They’re my friends. I made them. Where are your charging points?”

35. starcadia says:

iThink, Sebastian, therefore iAm.

36. scifijazznik says:

I heard Vangelis composed the original ringtones, but he hated the phone so much that he wouldn’t allow them to used, so some orchestra you’ve never heard of has re-recorded them.

37. pugg71 says:

I want more coverage, f***ker.

38. griffdn says:

“You Know the score Deckard? If you’re not telco you’re little people!” “…No choice huh?”

39. frikaloopas says:

For a movie made from a book called “Do androids dream of electric sheep?” I say we call them androids like the writer intended not humanoids. This Android uses a Nexus One body.

40. EricT says:

Brilliant absolutely brilliant

41. Mike Nowak says:

LEON
    My birthday is April 10, 2010.
    How long do I live?

DECKER
    Four years.

I got nothing.

42. Bucket says:

I thought Rob Zombie was the Nexus One.

43. Cowicide says:

Holden: “Tell me about your mother”

Leon: “My mother? I’ll tell you about my mother”

[BANG!]

Yes. Folks are forgetting in the title deconstruction that the “androids” do the dreaming. The Replicants are “androids” whatever that means. The electric sheep are the artifacts of the virtual reality program in the book that does not have an analog in the film (I think).

Great comments thank you.

In the book Dick was posing a question about who was more “human” the androids or the humans. The movie tries to capture that in the scene on the roof but leaves out the fact that, in the book, humans have to “plug-in” to experience emotion.

• palindrome says:

That’s not true; they don’t grasp the handles to experience emotion, they do it to experience fellowship and to share the experience of the ascent of Mercer. They experience plenty of emotion, and it’s clear that the androids do as well.

“AT&T is a one carrier goddamn slaughterhouse”

47. Artimus Mangilord says:

“Would you… like to be upgraded?”
    “I had in mind something a little more radical.”
    “What… what seems to be the problem?”
    “Apps”
    “Apps. Ah, well that’s a little out of my jurisdiction. You…”
    “I want more apps, fucker!”

48. palindrome says:

I want more battery life, #$*ker!

49. Someone else called Mart says:

The first thing I thought when I read the post was, “Google Skinjob?” Wish I didn’t… Google Replicant?