48 Responses to “Danish tourism board produces video marketing Denmark as a country with drunk women who have unprotected sex with random tourists”

1. Mister N says:

So, instead of showing the attractions that most tourists look for when visiting another country ( architecture, sightseeing, culture , food, small town attractions , etc) from all that they chose drunk women having unprotected sex with tourists.

And when the CEO says: “we’re telling a nice and sweet story about a modern responsible woman,” the responsible thing would have been for the woman to provide the condoms or make sure the drunk tourist used one. What about Sexual Transmitted Diseases ( STD )?. Someone responsible cares about their bodies.

Also, when the CEO says: “Karen’s story shows that Denmark is a free place with space for you to be who you want.” Don’t you want to show how powerful women can be in Denmark?, what kind of jobs they hold, what activities they do?, how does the country motivates its citizens to fully achieve their potential ?. Instead they took the easy way and disclaimed it poorly.

• blueelm says:

Yeah, it also leaves out completely women tourists.

As a female, the thought of drunk Danish girls happily exposing themselves to foreign STD and sharing possible some of the local variants is a lot less interesting then, like, well actually just about anything sounds more interesting to me :/

Are Danish men equally easy?

lol

actor or not…that baby is as cute as a button

3. RedShirt77 says:

I wonder if she wants more kids?

4. Ernunnos says:

How much tourist spending does it take to cover the cost of supporting a child? I haven’t heard an economic plan so ingenious since “We’ll lose money on every sale, but make it up in volume!”

5. gaberussell says:

Anyone know what she’s referring to when she talks about “…the thing we have here called ‘heuga’ that foreign people always ask about…”?

• Anonymous says:

“Hygge” is emblematic of the Danish character and paradigm. It represents their basic value system of creating “cozyness” in life, and in friendships. See point #1.

I just got back from the Copenhagen climate change conference and can vouch for how rad the Copenhageners are. It’s a special place. Those who are peeved about this video might sit back, take a breath, and think about the fact that the world CAN be a different place. Denmark is poking and prodding new norms of human behavior. I believe this a valuable thing.

• sylvar says:

The word is “hygge” (q.g.)

6. Thac0 says:

I think its almost worth pretending to be this babies father. I mean you’d get a hot blonde, Danish wife and also you get to move to Denmark. I’d help raise a child thats not mine for that perhaps.

7. semiotix says:

Well, it’s still better than “Paraguay: Plenty of Beautiful Parks in Which to Surreptitiously Masturbate!”

8. wrybread says:

Semiotix/#19 wins the thread.

9. artumi_richard says:

I watch this and I think about the baby not knowing his father and it makes me sad.

Maybe if this had happened in Amsterdam, they wouldn’t have gotten drunk, but rather a little stoned and spent some time talking about the universe and getting to know each other – including their names. Then the next morning they would have remembered what happened and who they were with and the dude wouldn’t have been so hungover that he had to run off to the nearest Cantina serving Menudo at 10 o’clock in the morning with the lame excuse that he had to go look for his passport. Maybe they would have gone out together for an, oh I don’t know, cheese DANISH and some coffee together and exchanged their Twitter accounts and freakin’ KEPT IN TOUCH! Sheesh, the damage caused by alcohol!

11. Marchhare says:

“whoever was hosting her video/address was soon to have a biblical deluge the likes of which could only be backed by a Toto soundtrack.”

Greatest line I’ve seen all week.

12. Nadreck says:

I protest! Truth In Advertising demands that we get an idea of how cute the guy had to be to make it with this chick! An average, obese, Hawaiian T-shirt wearing guy with a camera? I think not!

I mean, come on, even Uncle Ernie’s Holiday Camp has some signs saying You must be THIS tall to go on this ride.

“Hygge” is a word describing a specific atmosphere, personally I always think of having friends over, laughing sitting with blankets in front of the fireplace and having a good time.
    @ pgl #37 – yeah, it’s a joke. You didn’t get the board’s level of humor from the badly concieved viral video? :)
    Generally Denmark has increadibly high standards of welfare, but we have problems like everywhere else. Just not at the same levels as say, USA. We have free health care, free educational systems, great social security, and we’re paid for studying.
    On another note, I get why they did the video – they’ve reached a whole lot of people who probably never knew anything about Denmark, and we all know – bad publicity is better than no publicity. Still, I don’t agree.

14. BdgBill says:

Genius! It worked on me. Copenhagen, here I come!

Must learn to say “I have lost my friends. Do you want to go down to the water for a drink?” in Danish.

15. Day Vexx says:

Sounds like a good solution for those “child-free” folks– “Your Kids in Denmark Stay In Demark!”

@bdgbill, happy to help:

“I have lost my friends. Do you want to go down to the water for a drink?” =

“Mine venner er blevet væk. Vil du med ned til vandet og have en drink?”

Welcome to Denmark,
    Thomas

Just bought my ticket. Thanks for this.

she told me she wasn’t going to keep it!

19. Phoenicks says:

*sigh*

I don’t get how the idea of nailing a foreign chick and leaving her a single mother is a hot tourist attraction? Maybe I am not a shallow ****, and that is why I cannot grasp this as a tourist catch.

I simply found the whole thing kind of sad. “We had sex, you abandoned me, and I am trying this last ditch attempt to find you to let you know we made a human together in case you care.”

wtf.

Wonder if she wants the little guy to have a baby brother or sister?

21. brokebutstilldrinking says:

Wow! That was a close one. If a slighly overweight Irish woman shows up on camera, you’ve never heard of me.

Re: #25, the truth about women in Denmark via Oprah: That show and that article is so full of errors it aint even funny. For instance, people don’t ride bicycles because they are environmentally savvy. It just makes a helluva lot of traffical (not to mention economic) sense, especially since we’ve got bikepaths everywhere. Homelessness, poverty and unemployment are not ‘extremely rare’ – not in this economic climate… And the governmet doesn’t ‘continue to pay up to 90 percent of your salary for four years’ after unemployment. I truly wish they did. But what Oprah is referring to here is private unemployment insurance. Etc. Etc. The REAL danish woman is actually a lot like the woman in the vid. Welcome to Denmark!

Why isn’t she breastfeeding? It is very irresponsible of them to promote formula.

So instead of going to some cookie cutter hotel and being bored on the beach I could be knocking up hot Danish babes? How much are tickets?

Remember, what happens in Copenhagen stays in Copenhagen!

25. SeattlePete says:

As a “child-free” person I have no desire to impregnate anyone, on vacation or not. I couldn’t even watch the whole video because it was stressing me out. They may have wanted to frame Denmark as a “free place” but I’m left thinking it’s a sad place filled with desperate single-moms. Like a Maury Povitch paternity test show writ large.

• blueelm says:

Tough call. Danish women have a lot of options. They can get abortions and they have a lot of support as single moms. They get lots of maternity leave and they get healthcare and childcare options that women in other countries don’t, meaning that being a single mom there is really different then, say, in the US. Also they face different social stigma for being a single mom.

I still don’t see how this is so great.

I’d especially hate to see it become a sort of Danish women are all sluts campaign that leads tourists to think that they can grab local women and expect that they are, say, unrapable because they’re such total whores anyway… etc.

This maybe seems like a social clash between the status of women in Denmark and the status of women in some of the places people might be coming to Denmark from.

Tiger Woods – “Oh crap!”

THIS is why the TSA is trying to keep us from flying!

28. JoshP says:

okay, I totally bought into the video, watching before reading.
    so I’m watching, and I starting to think about homeless kitties and whatnot and all the sudden I’m thinking about the horrible indiscriminate sex I *had* back in the day and that’s making me want to apologize on the guys behalf… but then..
    I realize that this woman has no idea about the concept of the internet… because whoever was hosting her video/address was soon to have a biblical deluge the likes of which could only be backed by a Toto soundtrack.
    Hell, I was about to check my bank statements on the off chances that I might have had an alcoholic blackout around the same period and somehow slipped through a wormhole, just to imagine I was once in the same league with this woman.

29. pgl says:

Re: the definition of “hygge” on http://www.visitdenmark.com/usa/en-us/menu/turist/nyheder/nyheder/kunstenathyggesig.htm

“rÃ¥hygge, or literally “raw hygge.” That’s when you get beyond superficiality into the real meat of existence like the origin of the universe or your monthly average disposable income, after tax.”

WTF? Is that bit about the average disposable income meant to be a joke? IDGI.

• djn says:

@pgl: It’s definitely a joke. As for getting it, well … it’s one of those “unexpected serious misfit that you nonetheless can imagine some people actually meaning”-things.

30. david mondrup says:

This is sort of old news, and caused quite an uproar here in Denmark. Especially since it took a few days, and more than a million views on youtube, before VisitDenmark fessed up. Till then, most people believed it was real.

And like you guys, most of us don’t want to be portrayed like blonde bimbos that don’t mind being knocked up by strangers. Kiilerich, the CEO quoted in Politiken, left her position a few days after this.

“Come to Denmark. A fertile mother land.”

32. Jimmy Samsara says:

I love you Boing Boing, but this is old, old, OLD news…

Sign me up,sounds like a plan ;-)

34. sprockety says:

“I have this great idea about an tourist campaign where we really play-up the 99% literacy and zero homelessness!”

That’s really great but we decided to go with the illegitimate baby and single mom campaign. It tested better.

35. Lars says:

As has probably already been mentioned, Dorte Kiilerich was sacked a few weeks after it was discovered that the video was part of a viral campaign. Which was stupid imo. Clearly it generated a lot of attention, and people need to learn that odd stuff on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt.

@ gaberussell #17
    The definition of “hygge” can be found on Visit Denmark’s page:

37. marque93 says:

I totally fell for it when it ran on You Tube. It still bugs me that it was all a fake, I mean, she is just such a sweet girl, isn’t she … The head of the tourism board, the one who OK’d the ad, lost her job, btw.