1954 MAD compares movie version of book

13 Responses to “1954 MAD compares movie version of book”

1. Uncle_Max says:

This is one of my all-time favorite comics (especially the “my suit (pant), my pant (suit)” bit). I was lucky enough to first read this at my 2nd cousin’s house, as he’s a bit older than me and actually owns at least one copy of every MAD issue (he has 2 of most of the pre-1980 ones, just in case something happens to one of them, plus then there’s a copy that can be used for reading and not just preservation).

I also enjoyed the short lived companion comic PANIC – Humor in a Vericose Vein.

2. Steaming Pile says:

I miss Bill Gaines. Truly a genius of his time.

3. arikol says:

ohhh, the artists of Mad…
    Many geniuses (geniiiiiii, or whatever) have roamed those pages, with bad puns, silly humor, and excellent illustrations.

This one is great.

4. Kimmo says:

Those old 50s and 60s MADs were absolutely magnificent.

Davis was a master.

5. jeligula says:

This is excellent. Just from this sample page, you can feel Harvey Kurtzman’s rage at the Comics Code Authority. MAD turned into a magazine the following year and thereby escaped the depredations of the censors.

6. Tony Moore says:

Love that bit.
    as far as i’m concerned, Davis is the KING!

Dash-blast the gosh darn blankety heck!
    I have loved this cartoon since I was a child. Thanks guys.

8. webmonkees says:

I love the comics.

One odd thing about the later Mad Magazine (following the move to magazine format, that is) is that, at least with my local comic book store, it’s pretty much a non-entity as far as values are concerned.

I ended up with a stack of mid-60s Mads (including the JFK/Nixon flip cover), each for just about the original cover price. Cheap!

9. BoskoDePompo says:

Oh. My. God.

I had a Mad Super Special that included this self same script. I POURED over that thing.

I bought Mad regularly in the 70s and 80s, and it was a special day when a Super Special would hit the Safeway.

Those anthologies with the stuff from the fifties and sixties were so anarchic and DENSE compared to the 70s Drucker and Jaffee stuff. Kurtz and Woodbridge could pack so much amazing garbage into a panel and it always looked amazing. The little side gags were often much funnier than the hero gag.

10. Vanwall says:

Yup, Potrzebie makes it official. They left out a Moxie sign, tho. Nice reference to Tommy Udo, too.

11. BijouxBoy says:

Ah ha ha ha! Man, that is brilliant! The shoes in the book frame, and the missus’ arm! Lord. Excellent stuff.

12. Art says:

There was nothing in the world to compare to MAD.

I still have my original collection of the magazines (and paperbacks!) from the 50′s.- in real rough shape, as any mags would be when read every single darn day :)

They were like a bible to me.