Tintin copyrights go to war against Tintin fans

22 Responses to “Tintin copyrights go to war against Tintin fans”

1. tintinology says:

The latest is news is that Moulinsart have issued a statement about copyright that misrepresents the law.

Here is my take on it.

Second paragraph reads “Plaintiff accuses hisself.” Maybe that second Rodwell should be a Garcia.

For the interested: the name of the facebook group is ‘Comité de soutien à l’écrivain Bob Garcia contre Moulinsart’

4. gollux says:

The film will probably be an annoying adaptation of the comics anyway. Some authors estates deserve no fans and no support. Let them fade into the obscurity they seek.

5. nixiebunny says:

Cory, I love how you’re fighting the good fight on this stuff. I just ignore copyright on orphaned stuff, but sooner or later I’m sure it will bite me in the ass.

6. ausPPC says:

Ode to FOAD Nick Rodwell

Can’t create so just appropriate
    Beg borrow steal or just
    Marry some dead cartoonist’s feel

Attack those who love it best
    Get knotted knickers when we jest
    Can’t share, can’t care

So he gets where he’s goin’
    That little bit cheaper
    Dig his grave a little deeper!

Yes they can probalbly make a good Tintin movie, but should they.

8. VICTOR JIMENEZ says:

Wow, just wow.

That Rodwell just sounds like a modern day Rastapopoulos.

9. OoOoOo says:

It was hard to find the facebook support page, but here it is:

I see the Streisand effect strikes again :-)

11. pixleshifter says:

speaking of the tintin movie, in my opinion the two greatest tintin movies have already been made. le mystère de la toison d’or (the mystery of the golden fleece) and l’oranges bleues (the blue oranges). filmed with actors and yet faithful to the comics. classics.

12. tintinology says:

Nick Rodwell is no stranger to controversy.

In August, he used his blog on the official Tintin web site to attack journalists, claiming their hatred of him was down to the fact they had autistic children.

Following an uproar in the French press, Nick’s blog was removed from the Tintin site. Full story – http://tintinology.poosk.com/2009/08/11/strange-days-at-moulinsart/

There is a long running war against fan sites by Nick Rodwell and Moulinsart. Many of these sites certainly use copyright images but Mounlinsart’s heavy-handed approach is to shutdown sites with threats of large damages rather than valuing the fans who buy and promote their products.

I run a Tintin related site ( tintinology.poosk.com ) and I received a letter from Moulinsart explicitly preventing me from using images of the book’s covers when selling Tintin books via Amazon. Apparently Moulinsart don’t like people selling their books for them.

See http://tintinology.poosk.com/books-dvds/tintin-albums/ for more details.

While swimming, I met a Tintin fan who was tattooed with images from Cigars of the Pharaoh. If Rodwell sees him, he may sue for rights to the guy’s body! Will he be able to dictate that the guy swim fully clothed? Will any doctor who examines him be required to wear a blindfold?

14. devolute says:

This is what happens when you let lawyers marry.

15. Ted8305 says:

Hahaha, oh wow.

16. PeaceLove says:

Meanwhile, the complete set of Tintin is widely available on torrent sites. I’m just saying.

Did the article really just shift from talking about a pamphlet to talking about a film? Confusing….

Blistering barnacles!

well I hope this backfires and Mr Rodwell see’s a quickly diminishing interest in Tin Tin.
    fascist bastard!

20. _OM_ says:

…This is typical for Spielberg’s lawyers, some of whom happen to be and/or have been Lucas’ lawyers. Their view is to sue everything in a shotgun mode, knowing that for every 2000 violation of our Fair Use rights they’ll nail at least *one* person abusing those rights and making an unauthorized form of profit off of their client. It’s why the law needs to be amended so that when someone’s sued over Fair Use and it turns out they *did* have Fair Use rights in the clear, those doing the suing should automatically be liable for court costs and at least some semblance of damages. It’ll put a quick fracking end to about 80% of the cases where fans are simply beaten up on because some ambulance chaser needs money to pay off his golf/coke/whore bills.

• Bubba says:

This is the main problem with litigation, even if you are totally in the right asserting this position is prohibitively expensive. You may be as pure as the the driven snow but unless you have the bucks to back yourself up you are less than useless.
      Also IAAL and it sickens me, I no longer earn money that way. Not to say that there aren’t righteous, trustworthy lawyers (they do exist), but I do not have the talent nor the ability to be one. So I’d rather not be a lawyer. I’ve found folks find me a lot more pleasant to be around since I’ve left that noble profession.