Another Delightfully Demented Gift: The Feejee Mermaid

15 Responses to “Another Delightfully Demented Gift: The Feejee Mermaid”

1. BigBob says:

According to the press, there is one of these “mermaids” coming up in Christie’s Interiors Sale on June 8th in London!!

2. nanuq says:

P.T. Barnum was the ultimate showman. Whenever someone came up with a great exhibit, he always came up with something even better.

3. StevenFrench says:

If you’re ever in London, go and see the (apparently older) example in the British Museum in the Sloane collection.

4. JesseH says:

I think we need another puppy video.

5. MooseDesign says:

This made for a delightful X-Files episode too, with Jim Rose thrown in for good measure…

Wait, you’re complaining about how there is TOO MUCH truth in advertising? Good lord, ad companies lie outrageously in everything they do.

I agree that they seem to have lost their flair for the dramatic, but if I see a picture of a beautiful woman/fish hybrid, and I get a lousy taxidermy mashup of a monkey/fish then I would certainly and loudly be demanding my money back at the front gates so everyone around me knows what kind of a scam is going on.

7. ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive says:

I bet at puppet shows you holler “That’s not Punch and Judy! That’s just a guy with his hand up a doll’s butt!”

8. VoiceUXGuy says:

“I hate the literalism of the modern world!”
    Hate is such a strong word. Or should I not take this literally?

9. Pope Ratzo says:

Reminds me of my ex-wife.

10. Chupacabara says:

BoingBoing is leading me to financial ruin.

So far this week I have ordered -

1 – Set of Pirate Maps (due to a link from a BB Poster)
    4 – Manhattan Project era Los Alamos Explosives site brass badges (Due to a link I found while researching a post I was making)
    1 – Jersey Devil (Due to this article)
    1 – Donation for Haitian Relief (From BB Poster Link)

DAMN my impulsive self.

Erk… more puppies or a unicorn chaser, please. I was doing fine until I scrolled down to Brian Davis’ creation.

12. Roy Trumbull says:

Barnum’s American Museum had an attraction “This way to the egress” When they went through the door it locked behind them and had to pay another admission to get back in.
    I’m not sure if this was said by Barnum or about him: “No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.”

The Barnum Museum in Bridgeport, CT also has a fiji mermaid, I saw it with my own eyes a few weeks ago! (http://www.barnum-museum.org/) Apparently Barnum grew up in Bridgeport and was elected mayor at some point.

14. Chupacabara says:

Chupacabara Fetuses?!?

Wha… Huh… I mean…. WELL!!!

Looks like I need to have a talk with Mrs. Chupacabara.

15. giuliettamasina says:

Ah, yes… as pointed out, that lovely mermaid was the main plot device of the quirky X-Files episode “Humbug”. I warmly recommend it to anyone, fan of the series or not.