Table that turns into a secret house

13 Responses to “Table that turns into a secret house”

1. Janny says:

I work with kids! That’s really great for them! They will love it!

Jane,

2. t3hmadhatter says:

It’s easier with blankets and heavy toys.

3. Robbo says:

A card table and a quilt = hours of off-world fun.

4. Matthew Miller says:

Really cool — too bad about the horrible web design. I almost missed the youtube video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vr8mgOHZE4

5. Lobster says:

Nice! All you need is a little imagination and you can play make-believe!

6. technogeek says:

Woof. Woof woof!

As an art piece referencing our shared memory of table forts, I very much like it. I don’t think it’s really intended to be taken more solemnly than that. (There’s a big difference between solemn and serious.) I think it shows a lot of imagination on the part of the woodworker.

Of course a kid can turn anything into anything. But this really isn’t intended for them.

7. Ellavemia says:

I don’t have any kids but I sure would like to have one of these. For the cats. Yeah, that’s it.

8. Stefan Jones says:

Lacking a shop . . . you should try to re-create those old comic-book-ad play vehicles, Cory.

Nautilus Sub, spaceship, etc.

They were printed cardboard. Would make a neat MAKE project.

9. dancentury says:

A secret dog house. Sopwith Camel.

10. Anne K. says:

Aw man, now I want to go play in a blanket fort but I’m too big to sprawl under the dining room table! It sucks to be big. I want to go play our favorite fort game, Pirate Boarding School Ship with Random Literary Crossover Interludes, with my little sister.

11. billstewart says:

A second for the card table + blanket approach. Or occasionally you can find that most excellent version, a cardboard box from a refrigerator or washing machine.

12. Evil Lyle says:

Although not searly as cool as making something yourself, the “Convertibles” line available on Amazon are a series of large board books that can be assembled into pirate ships, cars, etc. They come together using sturdy plastic bands with velcro and also include a story and, in the case of the pirate ship at least, a treasure map. Check it out here

My son loves it, although he loves it just as much as when I make a submarine out of our big square sofa cushions (although his mum doesn’t like that quite as much…)